Whiffen

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
M2N-E
Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS
Patriot 1GB DDR2
Western Digital 250GB Caviar Hard drive
LG DVD/RW CD/RW
585 Watt PSU

Well I just got a new Western digital hard drive and I thought I might as well clean everything since I'd have to play with the guts of my computer anyway.

I had the same computer with a different hard drive for about 2 months now with no problems.

Anyway I wanted to take out the processor but I couldn't seem to get the cooler off of it, I used a little force to try and break it from the thermal pastes grasp but unfortunately it pulled the processor with it. I did not enjoy that moment at all, and thankfully I didn't break the processor 0_o Anyway with it stuck on like that I wouldn't be able to put it back in the socket with the heat sink stuck on it like that (The bar you lift up to unlock the socket to put the processor in was in the way) So I shoved it in the oven at about 40 Degrees celcious for a minute or two. It was finally loose enough for me to take it off but unfortunately a small amount of thermal paste got on my finger and slid onto one or two of the prongs (or w.e you call the 100 things sticking from the bottom of the processor) I wiped it off with a dry cloth and there was only a dust speck size of thermal paste left on the prong that I couldn't get at, anyway It still seems to be working as I am here writing to you but does anyone have an idea of what I should do, I really wouldn't like my processor to break or short from the bit of thermal paste on it T_T

Oh I have just encountered an error a day after this incident. My computer stopped responding although I could still move my mouse around but nothing else, so I restarted and once logged back into windows I encountered a blue screen of death type error although It quickly restarted my computer so I didn't get to see what it said. I looked in Control panel, Administrative tools, Event viewer and couldn't find any error that happened at the time this happened

Anyway It could be the hard drive thats broken as well, my neighbour had been previously using it for 6 monthes but had just upgraded it so he kindly gave it to me. (Still better than my 6 year old Maxtor 80GB HD xD)

Thanks ;3

sounds like you have a really crazy situation going on. I have a little bit of advice first for 'next time':
Before you put computer parts in the oven go online a seek a solution first. I googled it with "heat sink stuck to processor how to fix" as my query. and found a great post explaining that some thermal pastes have a wax base and this can cause them to be 'stuck' together. The likely best approach is to run the computer for a while, creating heat at this joint, then shut-down - unplug cable - remove battery (laptop) - open computer up and try to "gently" twist the two apart.
Regarding your problem right now... my guess is that the processor likely has a problem. Computers are very delicate things. If something is suppossed to come apart and it seems impossible then it likely being aproached from the wrong way. Step back, relax, and approach another way.
You probably should test you CPU for errors. This can be done with software although I have not personally done it.
I found a couple of sites that might help:
Prime59 is a CPU tesing program. Read the info and decide for yourself.
http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html
The great encyclopedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime95
I am sure that one of this forums experts could verify this as good advice or not. Lacking that this is the way that I would trouble shoot your problem.
Hope it helps.
SUB

Lol yeah thanks, I thought I should do it when It was still warm from the PC... I didn't pull to hard and I was gently trying to twist it back and fourth but It just popped out.
So I tried to replicate the heat in the oven, It really wasn't hot it, I just left it in until the paste was more of a well... paste. I'll run the torture test and let you know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back