Not open for further replies.
I recently build the following system:

-X-Dreamer Mid-Tower 400 Watt Front USB (SILVER) ATX Case
-Giga Byte GA-7VT600
-AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 2.2 GHz 400FSB
-PC3200 DDR400 1GB
-nVidia Geforce FX 5500
-Maxtor 200 GB HD
-Hitachi Combo Drive (CDR/CDRW/DVDR/DVDRW/CDROM/DVDROM)

Windows XP SP2

Here's the issue! When booting the system, before going into the bios (I don't know what you call that screen) where it shows you the MB, Processor and Drive info, my CPU is listed as a AMD Sempron 2200+, when in-fact I have a a Athlon XP 3200+.

I have called the place I purchased it from to ensure that they send me the correct processor and they assured me they did. They also said it could not be a sempron due it being a different socket CPU. I am not sure about that ...

Either way, does anyone know how this could happen?

Yesterday I downloaded software off the AMD website - which can be found here ... http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/CPUInfo.exe

AMD CPUInfo - This Windows® application executes and displays the return data from the CPUID instruction set and displays Hypertransport™ information if the processor supports it. This application also shows the maximum speed of the processor.

This program also said that I had a Sempron processor!

I am not sure what else to do!

Does anyone have any ideas how to make sure I've got the right processor and if I really do have the Athlon XP, why does the pre-bios screen and windows tell me I have a Sempron?

IronDuke said:
Download Everest Home Edition.
If this says you have a Sempron then you have a Sempron.

Go back to where you bought it and get what you paid for.

I will try this tonight when I get home from work. If it says I have a sempron, I will be pissed.

There is no chance this software would report this wrong, right?

Highly unlikely. Another choice CPU-Z try this as well. If these two added to what you already have should be conclusive enough if they all concur.

Here's the Everest Report ...

Motherboard:
CPU Type Unknown, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 3200+
Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-7VT600 1394 (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8377 Apollo KT600
System Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (08/27/04)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

And here is CPU-Z's image

cpuz.jpg

Is there a Sempron Processor with a Barton Core and Socket A?

What does this tell you?

That you need to update your BIOS...

That information is what the BIOS is recognizing your cpu as, so an update should fix it.

MrGaribaldi said:
That you need to update your BIOS...

That information is what the BIOS is recognizing your cpu as, so an update should fix it.

What's the easiest way to update the BIOS? I am guessing I need to copy files to a floppy? (Crap, I don't have a floppy).

I'll check into it. Does anyone have any experience with the Gigabyte Motherboards?

Hi,

I doubt a BIOS upgrade will do you any good. Looking at Gigabytes site there are only 2 BIOS updates, F6 is for Sempron support. If on the BIOS boot screen it says you have a Sempron then you have an up-to-date BIOS and flashing to a newer version wont help. Incidently the Sempron should still work even if you dont update the BIOS - the BIOS will simply report an Athlon or Athlon XP processor and show its true clock speed, i.e. AMD Athlon 2000MHz.
As for the Proprietor of the shop you purchased the CPU from, they do not appear to know what they are talking about and therefore may be inept enough to send out the wrong processor to you (avoid them in the future, buy online at Overclockers UK).
Back to the Semprons. these are available in a variety of flavours including Socket A (462) and the newer socket 754 versions and also come with a varying Cache sizes depending on the model (128Kb, 256Kb and 512Kb 2nd level cache). It may be possible they have sent you a 512Kb cache model of a sempron.
Incidently, a Sempron has a Barton core and is why CPUZ is reporting as such.
There is one thing that makes me not 100% sure though - as as far as I know the fastest Sempron available is a 3500+ (AMD website) and this only runs at a true 2GHz which is still less than the Athlon XP3200+ and what is reported on your computer (have you been in the BIOS and manually set the CPU/FSB clock speed by any chance?)
Anyway - it looks to me that you have been sold the wrong processor and you have a Sempron. the only way for sure is to remove the heatsink and check the CPU for the serial / model number. If you can supply us this then we will tell you exactly what CPU you have and then we can eliminate this as the cause of your problem and look else where.

msmith4000 said:
Hi,

I doubt a BIOS upgrade will do you any good. Looking at Gigabytes site there are only 2 BIOS updates, F6 is for Sempron support. If on the BIOS boot screen it says you have a Sempron then you have an up-to-date BIOS and flashing to a newer version wont help. Incidently the Sempron should still work even if you dont update the BIOS - the BIOS will simply report an Athlon or Athlon XP processor and show its true clock speed, i.e. AMD Athlon 2000MHz.
As for the Proprietor of the shop you purchased the CPU from, they do not appear to know what they are talking about and therefore may be inept enough to send out the wrong processor to you (avoid them in the future, buy online at Overclockers UK).
Back to the Semprons. these are available in a variety of flavours including Socket A (462) and the newer socket 754 versions and also come with a varying Cache sizes depending on the model (128Kb, 256Kb and 512Kb 2nd level cache). It may be possible they have sent you a 512Kb cache model of a sempron.
Incidently, a Sempron has a Barton core and is why CPUZ is reporting as such.
There is one thing that makes me not 100% sure though - as as far as I know the fastest Sempron available is a 3500+ (AMD website) and this only runs at a true 2GHz which is still less than the Athlon XP3200+ and what is reported on your computer (have you been in the BIOS and manually set the CPU/FSB clock speed by any chance?)
Anyway - it looks to me that you have been sold the wrong processor and you have a Sempron. the only way for sure is to remove the heatsink and check the CPU for the serial / model number. If you can supply us this then we will tell you exactly what CPU you have and then we can eliminate this as the cause of your problem and look else where.

Thanks for the thoughts! I also go back and forth - thinking I have a Sempron, but as you mentioned, the core speed #'s from CPU-Z indicate that I have a processor that runs faster then the fastest Sempron available. The supposed 3200+ Athlon XP is purchased runs at 2.2GHz which is what is being reported, therefor I really truely believe that I have an Athlon XP.

I can also tell you that my motherboard runs version F6 and as you mentioned, that means only one newer version is available, F7. I doubt this would correct my problem.

I can't exactly remember what the processor itself had labeled on it, but I am 99% sure it said "AMD Athlon", but I will verify this tonight so that I can eliminate this to be the case of my problem.

Once I have verified this and I find that I really do have an Athlon XP, what steps need to be taken to correct my problem?

Also, how do I manually set the CPU/FSB clock speed? Any help on this would be appreciated!

AND - the fact that Everest reported my CPU type as unknown makes me wonder! I tried it here on my work PC and it knows it's a P4. hmmmmmm

Thanks for everyones help thus far! :)

You already have the latest BIOS on that mobo, no upgraded needed.
I think you have an ATHLON XP 3200+ SOCKET A (400Mhz BUS) 512K CACHE BARTON CORE, which is incorrectly recognised as a Sempron.
AFAIK there are no Sempron 3200 Socket A with 512KB cache.

RealBlackStuff said:
You already have the latest BIOS on that mobo, no upgraded needed.
I think you have an ATHLON XP 3200+ SOCKET A (400Mhz BUS) 512K CACHE BARTON CORE, which is incorrectly recognised as a Sempron.
AFAIK there are no Sempron 3200 Socket A with 512KB cache.

I agree 100%. According to CPU-Z, I have a processor that runs at 2200MHz, Bus Speed of 400mhz, a level 2 cache of 512kb and it's a barton core!

How can I get the bios to recognize it as a Athlon XP 3200+?

RealBlackStuff said:
Who cares? It's only visible to you. The PC runs fine otherwise, and you got your CPU cheap!

I care, somewhat.

Based on the info you saw of the CPU-Z screenshot, does my processor (considering it's a athlon XP 3200+) run at it's full potential? I was afraid that if the BIOS AND Windows recognize my Athlon as a Sempron it would not be running at it's fullest potential.

Can anyone confirm or help me confirm this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back