Program fails to recognize devices after installation

I have a VAIO VPC computer with Windows 7 operating system. I was installing the software for my Palm TX Organizer, and when it came to connecting the device to the computer, I received the message that the system was locating the drivers for the device and then informing me that no drivers were available. When I tried to sync the device through the palm program it will not recognize the presence of the device. I uninstalled and downloaded a new version of the program from the Palm website encountering the same situation when I connected the device to the computer.

I have also experienced this same situation with the installation of Tunes Plus to allow for the uploading of my iPod music onto iTunes on the computer, I continually get a device not present message.

Can anybody out there throw some light on this problem?

Windows doesn't need drivers to detect a Plug and Play device.

So forget about drivers for the moment....

1) You don't say how you connect the device to your compute. I'll guess USB???

2) Then start with the basics: Are you hearing the USB ding/dong sound affect as you should when connect / disconnect a USB device????

the connection is by USB

Yes I hear the ding, and the message that windows is searching for the drivers and that's the last I see about connecting.

In the case of the iPod I hear the ding, but nothing else...

In the case of the iPod I hear the ding, but nothing else...
Hmmm, for the case of the iPod, at least, that's what i'd expect if the iPod drivers are already installed when you connect the ipod

Strange problem scenario... There's a few things to check
1. Have you tried connecting the devices to different USB ports (both front and rear)?
2. Are you connecting directly to computer ports or do you use a hub? AND if a hub, does the hub have its own AC line adapater.
/*edit */ And a very basic question here.. but to make sure we have all basics covered.....
>>> Are your devices POWERED ON when they're plugged in to your computer???
>>> Do your devices come with their own A/C adapter? If yes, plug the A/C adapter in as well for while we're testing /* end - edit */

And things to do.
First, make sure your devices are connected and powered ON
List any Problem Devices
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Next, See [post=939115]How To Report Your Computer's Device Manager Data[/post] generate a report and attach

Next, disconnect your iPod and Palm. Close DevManView. The run it again to generate another DevManView report (as above) and attach it as well

Back