Programs closing down

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI,
I seem to have an unsual problem with my pc, im running win xp.
When i try to open certain programs or try to install new software, the program just closes down. MS Word i can only open, if i try to do anything in it, it shuts. I cannot install msn messenger, as half why it shuts down.

Its for any program that i try to install, the programs just shut down without installing. I'v got pcguard antivirus running, it has not picked up any viruses.

I'v followed the instructions from the sticky, and my hjt log is attached.

Thank you

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your HJT log is clean.

However, the PcGuard programme has been known to cause problems and may be a contributing factor.

I suggest you uninstall PcGuard and try one of the Antivirus/Firewall combinations below.

If that doesn`t help, please post back.

AVG free or Avast antivirus programmes.

Zonealarm Kerio or Comodo free firewall programmes.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

To REBAZZ: Sounds like a corrupted profile or security database. But, first try this: Start --> Run --> "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. This will repair protected system files. Reboot and let us know...

You may be able to find the cause in the Event Viewer. It's one of the most valuable tools in Windows XP:

Follow this path:
Control Panel Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event. (you don't need to enclose the lines of code that follow the description)

Look for Error(s) that occur at the time when the installations freeze.

Or you can use these sites:
http://www.eventid.net/search.asp
http://www.monitorware.com/en/events/

It would also be helpful to know what your installed RAM is.

Looking better

jmjsquared said:
To REBAZZ: Sounds like a corrupted profile or security database. But, first try this: Start --> Run --> "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. This will repair protected system files. Reboot and let us know...

ThankS to all for your help, i tired the above method and looks like things are back to normal.

Once again, thanks lads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back