Programs on 2 OSs

Status
Not open for further replies.

detrunks

A while back I asked a Q. about having XP and X64 on the same PC and whether each OS would need to have their own programs installed. I was basically told each OS needs its own applications - which is what I proceeded to do. However, a recent game I installed had a defualt directory in the X64 file system even though I was installing it under XP. There were no problems with the game. I then ran a game that was installed under X64 whilst in the XP OS, again with no problems (both were in the X86 directory).

Did I misunderstand what I was told and should I now just uninstall duplicate programs (i.e. both in XP and X64 directories). Is there some way of determining what apps will run in both OSs?

I did post this under the OS forum but had no replies :( , therefore I'd also like to ask if peeps would expect this!

Thx in advance

You can run 32-bit apps in 64-bit Windows of course.

The problem is that some programs keep a lot of their installation information in the system registry and the registry is tied to the specific instance of Windows. That game happened not to care that much about its registry and installation data and that's why it ran in the other instance of Windows without problems.

This may not be true for something else and the only way for you to find out is to try. No one can tell you about the inner workings of a program except the author itself.

BTW, another trick is to install the program in both Windows instances, but use the same folder. This way the initial registry and installation information is put into both Windows instances while having only one program installation. Of course, you may run into serious trouble when that information goes out of sync.

so its the registry!

thx Nodsu
RBS - why do you think X64 is in test condition? (AKA X64 Professional) It 's been available for purchase for yonks!:suspiciou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back