Status
Not open for further replies.

matace50

I've narrowed down my options of a new psu to:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103940
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182017

I have a Pentium 4 3.0ghz w/Ht

3gigs DDR2 Ram(2 x 512MB 4200@ 400mhz and 2 x 1gig 5300@ 667mhz)

and plan to run a evga 8800GT OC 512MB

I still do not understand how to calculate the volt amperage in each rail. I calculated the total watts my computer would use but im not sure how accurate the estimate was. I was also told that the amperage in each rail was the most important thing, even over how much watts the psu can support. Will either of these two psus sufficiently power my computer?, and if not what psu do you suggest i use?

The 8800GT requires a 425W PCI-e compliant power supply with a combined 12V Amperage rating of 28A or more, but the Rosewill only provides a combined 27A, and the Antec provides 25.5A combined.

This PSU has a single 12V rail of 41A, this one supplies a combined 33A, as does this one.

Those are just a few, and I could get more links for you, but I don't want to overwhelm you with lots of choices in one go ;)

Thank you very much.

ok i think i will get the first one. Just to make sure, are absolutely certain that my pc will be able to run on CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W Power Supply 90? Just want to make sure before i order it.

I can't see why it would be a problem, it has a lot of headroom over the minimum power needed by the graphics card and has plenty of current on the 12V rail.

Unless you decided to go SLI and put a quad core processor in, that PSU should last you a while :)

Noise inside a pc can come from a few different things. It could be: case fans, PSU fans, CPU fan, hard drive, graphics card fan. Some case fans can be quite loud, as can CPU fans (my old one used to run at 5 000rpm and was extremely loud :D) so you need to pinpoint the sound, really.

Hard drive noise is different to fan noise, as it's higher pitched and unless you have an unhealthy drive, isn't that loud.

The Corsair PSU just has one 120mm fan which will spin slower than an 80mm fan, which the one you linked to has 2 of, so it will be quieter whilst still getting the same amount of air flow.

Like I say, though, unless you can figure out where exactly the sound is coming from, you could replace all sorts of fans before getting to the culprit. If it's a case fan making all the noise then they're cheap to replace, just a couple of $ each. Pocket change, really ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back