PSU problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just put a new pc together this week and once I had finished with all my installing, downloading and patching I decided it was time to give it a shake down with a few games, only one problem, the game starts up and my pc shuts down.

I'm using:
Asus P5Q-E Green Intel P45 Socket 775 Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz 4x2mb 1066FSB CPU
NZXT Tempest Blk ATX Mid Tower Case with 6 fans + cpu fan
OCZ Vista Upgrade Edition 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MH.
WD Caviar 160GB Serial ATA HD 7200/8MB/SATA 3G
2 - VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 4850, 512 MB video cards
ULTRA X3 850W PSU

After all my searching all I found was one review of a Ultra X3 1000W PSU, and the review pretty much described what I was experiencing, saying that the psu would either burn out or just keep shutting down while playing games. Both my cards require a 6 pin connector and the psu seems to support that just fine.

I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that this is my problem and the solution is to find another psu or is there a work around or fix that some one has first hand knowledge of, and if it is the psu that caused all of these problems for me and might have damaged my new components do I have any recourse against Ultra or tigerdirect for selling this?

Reseat your CPU's HSF. On starting a game, the CPU is usually loaded to full, and a loose HSF may allow it to overheat. Especially since the Q6600 is a hot-running chip.

If that does not solve your problem, try swapping the PCI-E connector on the card for another one.

18 degrees C is equivalent to about 67 degrees Farenheit. You might want to rethink believing that number. Well,unless you're living in an igloo. Although if that's correct, I gotta say I'd be gosh darned awful impressed.

You need to use multiple programs to measure the temperature. I suggest using CoreTemp and RealTemp. The BIOS is also another way of getting the temperature.

Do not use SpeedFan, it is very unreliable for this purpose.

I do use multiple programs to check my temps, volts and fan speeds, and I thank all of you for the responses. I did get in touch with some one at Ultra that seemed to know what I was going through and did say that they are aware of the problem with this psu and my set up, they did not elaborate past that other than to say they have no fix for it at this time and that I should return it to tigerdirect. :(

Ah well time to shop for a new psu.

Be very careful as to how you return the power supply to Tiger Direct. Get authorization to return it, and verify that they have authorized the return... also document everything that Ultra told you and include all information with the shipment and RMA to Tiger Direct.
TigerDirect is a very difficult company to receive refunds and replacements, and if you violate their many rules, cautions, and warnings, or do not have their OK, you can lose your investment and the Ultra.

Ultra is not a brand, but rather a marketing name. Most of their stuff is low cost and marginal.

You need a quality power supply as a replacement, as it is the second most important component in your computer, next to the motherboard.

Get a good one next time... and verify that what TigerDirect wants to send you is good before you complete any actions or approvals.

Be sure you include a copy of your paperwork, and put the correct shipping label on the box.

Then let us know what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back