PUBG's graphics on the Xbox One X are being downgraded to address performance issues

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Those who enjoy PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds on the Xbox One X might notice that the game doesn’t look quite as good today. That’s because PUBG Corp. is releasing a patch that temporarily downgrades the popular title’s graphics to improve its stuttering performance.

PUBG’s developer revealed the plan in a weekly community post, which states that many Xbox One X users are experiencing framerate drops while playing the game. To address this issue, a hotfix is being deployed today that will decrease the graphical settings on Microsoft’s flagship console.

While PUBG’s resolutions and textures remain the same, some of the patch’s downgrades include decreased SSAO quality and a lowered number of particles. Certain effects have been disabled completely, including depth of field, lens flare, SSR and SSS, motion blur, and particle light.

“We wanted to maintain the quality in overall visuals, so to minimize the difference, we only reduced very specific detailed graphics options like shadowing and reflection,” explains the post.

The changes will affect all Xbox One X users, even those who are not experiencing any framerate problems with PUBG, which only recently got its full release on the console.

The downgrade is only a temporary solution as the company looks for a way to improve performance without lowering the graphics settings. Additionally, the developer is working to implement a long-term solution that would see two different game modes offered to Xbox One X players: one will let them prioritize performance, while the other will focus on graphics quality.

Check out the before (top) and after (bottom) images that show the effects of the patch.

Permalink to story.

I was watching XB1 PUBG on Twitch and this guy was driving a truck and the buildings wouldn't render in, so they would crash into invisible barriers and then it would load in two seconds later, lol. The game barely runs on my 980ti, idk how they thought this game was a viable option for consoles.

I love how the article links below the main text include one that says PUBG can run at 60FPS on Xbox One X but will run a locked 30FPS.

The comedy. Even locked 30FPS has been a pipedream from the second the game was available.

I just picked up a 55" HDR 4K 120Hz Hisense cheapo for the garage, been looking into 4K gaming from consoles. I've did next to nothing for research but the little I have done, from what I've read, the X1X actually runs 4K better then the PS4 Pro.
And now I read an article about them having issues, albeit a poorly coded engine in PUBG. Maybe I should wait for the next gen consoles?

Most games barely run 60fps 1080p on consoles. You have to wait couple of generations before real 4K unless your fine with choppy 30fps max. Buy a PC if you want real 4K, if not it's crappy now and next gen so you might as well buy current **** as it's cheap (no one wants them, constant sales). They want to sell at least some of the "pro" consoles before next gen and that could take a while.

Someone still playing that slow, ugly, crappy game??

When will those *****s from PUBG learn how to program? Or are they so cheap they won't pay proper programmers? Considering who's the owner, I wouldn't be surprised.

Someone still playing that slow, ugly, crappy game??

When will those *****s from PUBG learn how to program? Or are they so cheap they won't pay proper programmers? Considering who's the owner, I wouldn't be surprised.
They have a gamer as their lead instead of a actual programmer, that should tell you a lot.

I was watching XB1 PUBG on Twitch and this guy was driving a truck and the buildings wouldn't render in, so they would crash into invisible barriers and then it would load in two seconds later, lol. The game barely runs on my 980ti, idk how they thought this game was a viable option for consoles.
Game runs fine on my 1070.
I know a friend who use a 980ti for Pubg. He plays just fine. Hes just not good at it.

Back