Puter seems slow

novicegamer

Lately my comp seems to taking twice as long to load pages and just serf the net,even when I open another game or file seems slow
2.53 P4
asus P4T533-C
1024 pc1066 rambus
XP pro SP1
audigy 2
9700pro
maxtor 40gig and same kind as slave
DVD & CD roms
I had to use spare HD and load fresh OS on it after local shop corupted OS on main HD last month so ive been using this for only 1 month and it shouldnt be this slow,this will be my back up comp soon as I have another allmost ready to go only need CPU and OS and a couple HD's that are on order thanks in advance for any help

It could be due to fragmenation, although that should play only a small part in your overall system performance since you system is top-notch.

You may want to look as software running in the background as the culprit. Check out your task manager and see what processes are using your CPU.. If you CPU is above a couple of percent usage while idle, then there's something running the background, chewing up your system resources.

I have run lavasoft adaware(usually once A week).How do I find out if its a trojan horse,I will defrag but that is once a month thing and I only have been using this HD for a month

Do you have a firewall? If I remember correctly, some older versions of Zone Alarm slowed things down a little.

I use Ad Aware AND Spy-Bot. Have you Virus Scanned your hard drive?

Like Rick said, sure sounds like you have somthing running in the background. Did you check Processes in Task Manager like he said?

Back