Question about Google Earth GPS

learninmypc

Might some body be able to tell me the name of the 3rd character (between the 8 & the 5) in this GPS coordinate
A GPS.JPG
It looks like a plain circle, but I'm sure it has a name, thank you.

Degrees, as in degrees, minutes and seconds. The actual name of the symbol is just degree symbol, I think.

The other two symbols are (') minutes and (") seconds in that order. N=north and W=west. In the context in which they are being used, they are signifying coordinates in a two dimensional plane.

Those symbols can also be used as a bearing when combined with a direction. Example, N 38º 57' 33" E. When used in surveying in a metes and bounds legal description, add a distance. N 38º 57' 33" E, 150 feet.

There are 60 minutes in each degree and 60 seconds in each minute.

Latitude is a measure of displacement from the Equator: North or South.

Longitude is a measure of displacement from Greenwich, England: East or West.

The problem of longitude was finally solved using a known location (Greenwich) and an accurate time piece. Thus, measurements of time (minutes and seconds) became the measurements used for longitude (ignore degrees). As the full circumference of the earth was then measured in degrees, minutes and seconds for longitude, it made sense to use the same measurements for Latitude also.

Oh, btw; 360 degrews / 24 hrs, says there are 15 degress longitude in every timezone

Back