Question about installing memory modules

Larsenex

My motherboard is a Z77 Asrok Extreme 6.

It has four dimm slots. I have One kit of 8 gigabyte memory from Gskill that is DDR3. 'dual channel' (11-11-11-28) PC 2133.

If I get another kit of 8 gig from ANOTHER vendor and its different timings can I put them into the alternate slots and have it work? Say I buy Corsair (9-9-9-9) PC 1600. Would the two kits work against each other since they are different timings? Is this NOT recommended?

Here is another better question. What if I buy the exact same memory from Gskill and drop them in as well? So I have two kits of dual channel 8 gig ram for a total of 16 gigs. Both kits would be same type/speed and latency. Will this work or do I need to use 'quad channel'?

Edited for spelling.

If I get another kit of 8 gig from ANOTHER vendor and its different timings can I put them into the alternate slots and have it work? Say I buy Corsair (9-9-9-9) PC 1600. Would the two kits work against each other since they are different timings? Is this NOT recommended?
I'm thinking that different timings will cause issues with Dual Channel functionality. I'm also thinking that Dual Channel only functions if all modules can operate in dual mode. If you are not planning on operating in Dual Channel mode, I don't think it matters. However the modules should operate with the same timing, if they are to be linked together.

Anyway without actually knowing for sure, those are my thoughts.

You should always use identical RAM modules. The Z77 platform can only take advantage of dual channel. So the 2 8GB sticks in similar channel slots will work together, and that will be the same with the other 2.

The sticks will use the highest timings and the lowest frequency. There is no guarantee that the sticks will work, even from the manufacturer. Best-practise is to always use a 'kit', as these sticks have all been tested and rated to be compatible with each other.

Thanks much. I have a kit of 8gig, (2x4) and was thinking on getting another kit of the exact same which would be (2x4). The timings would all be the same and same manufacturer (Gskill).Since the motherboard is only dual channel if I have 2 sets of (2x4gig) each one is dual channel will that cause issues or will the ram all be happy and Ill end up with (4x4gig)...

Since the motherboard is only dual channel if I have 2 sets of (2x4gig) each one is dual channel will that cause issues or will the ram all be happy and Ill end up with (4x4gig)...
Why wouldn't that work? Your motherboard has 4 RAM slots for a reason :)

Dual channel doesn't mean you can only use 2 RAM sticks, it just means that you need an even number of sticks to take advantage of them operating in dual channel mode.

I have a kit of 8gig, (2x4) and was thinking on getting another kit of the exact same which would be (2x4). The timings would all be the same and same manufacturer (Gskill).

Yes, if you buy two of the exact same kit, this will work. Just make sure to keep the kits together. Your RAM slots should be something like: A - B - A - B. Keep the first kit in slots A, second in B.

I have the same motherboard, the ASRock Z77 Extreme 6, and I did the same thing. I had a 2x4GB set of Crucial RAM installed and later added another 2x4GB set. Same brand, model and speed. Works great.

Back