Question about psu, graphics cards, and newegg

Status
Not open for further replies.

snacks

On newegg, most of the graphics cards give specific minimum psu requirements, but some of them don't. What should I assume if no minimum psu requirement is given?

you shouldn't assume anything ;)

most of the video card PSU requirements only state PSU wattage, even if the PSU's total wattage meets the video card's requirements, it doesn't mean the PSU can actually provide enough power (but that's another topic in itself ;))

the PCI-express slot itself provides 75watts. if the card needs more than that, it will use the PSU's 6-pin PCI-express power connector (which provides an additonal 75watts). if the card needs more than 150watts, then it will likely come with it's own power supply.

what brand and model# PSU do you have? and what video card are you planning on buying?

I want to buy my little brother a graphics card, but the computer he plays on only has 2 PCI slots and 230 w. I'm working on my own computer, and the one I'm talking about is a Dell, so I can't really upgrade it, so don't try to give me any recommendations about making a new computer. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm trying to not get any useless responses about how much my computer sucks.

lol, I have no intention of saying your computer sucks ;)

even the best PCI video cards are low-end by today's standards. so if the only option is PCI, then I wouldn't worry too much about the PSU because the card isn't likely to draw that much power from it.

the wattage rating (both on the PSU itself and the video card's requirements) doesn't tell enough info to determine whether or not the PSU is up to the task or not. the only way to know for sure is to try it out

:wave:

I wish I could find someone with the same PC who knew about this.

The main issue is that I don't know how much power it's supposed to require.
They're not the greatest, but from reviews, FX series seems to be the most reliable. 5500's require 250w, but 5200's give no specifications.

google psu calculator. try a few free ones and add 30% to the results.

If all you have are PCI slots a 350W PSU is sufficient.

snacks said:
I wish I could find someone with the same PC who knew about this.

The main issue is that I don't know how much power it's supposed to require.
They're not the greatest, but from reviews, FX series seems to be the most reliable. 5500's require 250w, but 5200's give no specifications.

Asked and answered once again:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=games_buy&thread.id=6084

Google is your friend:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2148784&CatId=933

Your fine with your psu and that card.

A 350-450W PSU is more than sufficient for a PCI-only system, depending on the components involved since the most powerful PCI card available today, the X1550, requires a 420W PSU while the 6200 PCI requires only 300W.

In case no one else noticed, Snacks256 is also me, and I asked that there to see their responses, since it was more likely to find someone with the same computer there. The question was already answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back