Question Overclocking in the Bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

D@nny

I want to see how much faster my computer will run if I overclock the mobo from 2.8 to 3.0 what does FSB mean is that the frequency? And what should I change the frequency to achieve a processor of intel 3.0?

Doooooood.

If you have to ask what a FSB is, stop what you are doing now and walk away!

(Half kidding).

Although these days OCing is much safer than it used to be, it is still a dangerous affair, ESPECIALLY for those who have never done it. You not only are at risk of frying your CPU, but also the other components of your system.

Now, as you are looking at a small OC, if you do your homework and realize the risks, OCing can be a fun thing to do.

Here is a little intro for you:
http://www.motherboards.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5096

disclaimer: if I came across as being a **** here, I appologize. But I'd rather be a **** and save you the money for replacing your system ;)

Votage is the killer, and you must watch CPU temprature. With good cooling you can use more. 10% rise in Vcore is generally "safe."

Is 150/37 = to something around a 3.0? Is that a good frequency to set it too? Do you think I'll need extra cooling?
Also can I really tell if its stable just by booting it up. I mean even if it looks stable and I see no tearing on my screen or purple blotches when running a game thats a CPU hog like oblivion it might totally change all of that right? It could cause me to go into unstability. Also none of the programs like SisSandra or 3D max links are working. Any other good programs recommanded to test my system to see if its in the sweet spot?

I have a 2.8 intel processor. I think I updated my bios when I used sony's site but im not really sure. So I have like the default bios I guess. My chipset Is Intel 82801EB ICH5 maybe it means something to someone but I don't understand it. I heard the 2.8's are very overclockable. I also heard Intel sucks for overclocking. 3 fans currently one for my video card ; Nvidia 256 mb ddr3 agp 8 Geforce 6800. A Fan on my heatsink. And a fan blowing air out of my computer in the back. 2 512 mb of ram pc 2700/3200. And a 295.4 watt PSU. Anything else? I just want to overclock my mobo a little bit see if I can get less artificats and more fps. Intel Pentium 4 Northwood Voltage: 2.768k.
FSB: 199.5
Multiplier? : x14.0
Bus Speed: 798 mhz

Memory Frequency 158 mhz

What should I raise the multiplier to and is I heard I also have to adjust my processor speed to ram speed ratio? Or some ratio is that true?

So you have a Sony computer? With a Intel brand motherboard? :eek:

Sorry, but you can't overclock OEM computers. :(

With a clockgen type program you may be able to overclock a little, but the PCI bus will be overclocked too. Most motherboards made to overclock have a lock on the PCI bus.

I'll google around...

Thanks for answering here's the new list:
What kind of Mobo should I have I kno people with Intel overclock i'v read about it all the time on forums. Also I have an agp card slot not Pci does that make a diffrence? And what do you mean by a little? And what's wrong with sony. One more thing I can still overclock my video card or my ram if I wanted to right? Thanks for answering here's the new list

There is this program called systool, it can overclock 865/875 chipsets.
http://www.techpowerup.com/systool/

Take the FSB up 1 mhz at a time, sooner or later your system will crash then don't go that high again. :haha:

I don't know if it will work, but read this. It's about Dell, but it's all about the same.
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=196767

Intel CPUs overclock, but not Intel motherboards(not many.) For overclocking Intel Asus is the motherboard of choice, a P4C800 or P4P800 for your chip.

is SYS tools safe in regards to the program itself? Since it's a new program and its still in its early stages? Just wondering. Anything else besides the FSB that I should raise what about voltage to go along with it like posted earlier

P.S my mobo isn't compatible with sys tools It doesn't even find it and gave me a message saying it wasn't on the list.

Yeah now I know I don't have a bios meant for overclocking. So can this program do it for more? Im going to try it out hopefully it will work and i'd have overclocked my cpu. Too bad I got such a lame bios I hope that doesn't make matters worse when overclocking

So I have an oem mobo with no overclocking options. Systools doesn't find my cpu version and that clock program doesn't find my clock work or w/e . Here's my cpu's specs if it looks like I can overclock it pretty well. http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/1530/specs8tz.png

P.S. How do I do this " This may yield some increase in performance:
Fix: Go to BIOS set-up and make sure that System BIOS is both shadowed and cache "

How do I enable shadowed and cache in the bios? I doubt I have that option even though it says so never seen it in my boring bios. So I can overclock right? All these 3rd party programs my oem cpu is overclockable right! Some program can change my fsb I doubt its top locked or anything. Please help I really want to overclock and i'll do w/e it takes.

I went on a few websites to check if I could upgrade my motherboard but P4SD-VX wasn't ever on the list. It was either P2 or P5 -VX or something similar. Well anyway I guess I can't update my bios so any 3rd party programs that will let me overclock in my bios without the fbs setting option? There has to be i'v seen people with older systems then mine overclock why can't I...

Edit: I also just found this cool bit registry tweak and I have an overclocking option on my nvidia forceware display menu. It's great. I raised the frequency from 350 to 376 with no crashes so far. Anyway I emailed sony maybe they can help me upgrade my bios since it doesn't look like i can find the version number anywhere..

Run Clockgen, go to PLL Setup, set it to ICS 9526??(my 865 board is 952607) then go to PLL Control and move the top slider over a little and apply. It WILL crash sooner or later. You will want to run prime95, if it will run for hours and hours your OC is stable.

Oh i was confused about the whole program. Yeah its unchangable now its at the number you said last 2 numbers are 07. Im moving it up a bit when it crashes take it down by 10 or 20 right? I'v already overclockd my video card and as for cooling goes I got 3 pc fans and a giant fan near my desk so i can't really go to high. What program do you use to monitor CPU temp? What numbers should I watch out for? Sissandra is reliable right?
Also im guessing none of the other programs are changed my new CPU readings because there just reading whats engraved into the computer not the real thing right? Just wanting to make sure this clockgen thing realy moved me up to a 2954.76 . Also is it safe to only switch the cpu high when running big things (OBLIVION) and lowering it back down to minimize the risk when running programs that don't need as much cpu? Is that safe? Or should i not move it back and forth 2 much. Also how does PRIME95 work? Sometimes its red sometimes Yellow. And how does the torture test work and how long does it take? And does it use any system resources if I leave the program open in my taskbar?

I went from a 2.79 to 2989 and the CPU tempt went from 39 celcius to 43 celcius. Oh I gues it was adjusting sissoft sandra went down to showing 41 now to 40. It's getting cooler :)

Here's something interesting I found reading my cpu info for the 10th time
Name: P4N (NORTHWOOD) PENTIUM 4C 130NM 1.6-3.4GHz 1.475-1.5.75V

I got all of them. Yeah my cpu temp is fine 41 degrees average and my video card is at 490 mhz and no crashes yet. CPU OC'D to 3.05. Im gonna test Oblivion see if my fps is slightly better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back