Question Regarding Game Theatre XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just had a very long 2 hour conversation with a agood friend of mine regarding various speakers and sound setups and for what I want to do I require knowledge on this sound cards more detailed specifications.

Can anyone here tell me what sort of wattage this amplifier can output - I have searched all over and have found nothing, not even on the Hercules page.

I am not a whiz as far as specifics go, but does anyone here actually know what my friend means by an Amp that does 600 Watts/Clip. I (of course) definitly do not need anything remotly that powerful, but what I do need is perhaps a little more then 100 Watts. I plan to use it with some old 1960's Jensen Speakers.

Anyway - more simply, will the game theatre XP be able to extract the pull potential from these:

http://www.jensenvintage.com/p12n.html

Now as far as specifications go, I'm fu*cking clueless looking at this. Hopefully someone out there isnt. :)

I couln't find any info on your sound card, but it's output is probably only miliwatts, which is not meant to drive a speaker directly. The Jensen speakers you are showing in your link are only for bass and if you want full range you'll have to buy midrange and tweeters to. If you are only going to use these for gaming, I'd suggest getting some of the computer speakers on the market, which have an amp built in, basically, just plug them into your sound card and you're ready to go. You can get some pretty good stereo or 4.1 speaker sets for less than a $100. Besides, if you are using a 1960s era speaker, more than likely it won't last long. The paper surround that I read about on your link would be very stiff and brittle by now, I would think. Also the power rating on them of 50 watts doesn't mean a lot unless it has "RMS" behind it. That's a universal testing method used today.

Also, your friends 600 watt amp, could it be 5 X 120 watts? You could buy a house for what a 600 watt per channel home audio amp would cost.

Yes he could of bought a house but he got it for free :)

The Jensen speakers I showed you are only similar to what I am getting, the ones im getting have tweaters and midrange speakers built in (on top of the base speaker). My friend showed me them. As for lastability I'm not worried about that because they have lifetime warranties on them and audio companies are usually pretty quick to coverup any product failures (and I may be getting them new).

The sound card I'm getting has a card and an amp. It;s got All the imputs for Dolby 6.1 and several USB ports. The amp part of it is externa, and connects to the sound card via a heavy duty ribon cable.

All I need is the bloody watt output of the damn thing :) Which is not documented anywhere. Why have 7 outputs for speakers if it doesnt have any wattage?

what brand of amplifier manufacturer makes such a cool 600 watts per channel amp?

THX?

Most (decent) Home Theater Receivers start at $400, and that's like 50 watts per channel and maybe 100 watts for the bass.

The game theatre xp as far as I can see does not have built in amplification, and is designed to plug into self powered speakers or an amplifier. Check out the tech specs page you will notice it lists all the outputs as 'Line-Out' which arn't powered.

http://europe.hercules.com/showpage.php?p=57&b=0&show=2&f=1

The connections on the external box are the same as you would get directly on the back of a normal sound card, and to make use of the speakers you mentioned you will definitely need to purchase a seperate amp.

I hope all this makes sence :)

I agree, I've never seen a computer sound card with a built in amp. You'll have to buy amplified computer speakers or a 6.1 receiver and the card should have a single digital output to go to the recivever for the 6.1 Dolby Digital. Like rubjonny said, this card has an exteral box that just offers more convience than a regular sound card. Some, like the Audigy Extigy even come with a remote control, which is might handy.

I'd also be interested to know what brand amp your friend has at 600 watts per channel.

I'll ask him next time I see him. But that probably wont be for a while (at least a week). If anyone really needs to know my icq is 70773471 and my msn is diluted@gamer.net.nz

Hmm yeah I understand now regarding the Herc card. Guess amp is gonna cost me. Specially if i want Dolby 5.1+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back