Quick Simple Question about PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in the UK and switched my PSU while plug was in on the back from 215V to 115V and it went :hotbounce why was this. (yes i hardly know anything about computers)

Question TWO: Also i would like to know how i could turn the power down without this happening.

Question Three: i am building my own computer and came across a brilliant PSU but it is 580W and i will only need about 320W so can i turn this down (if i can how can i do it without blowing up my computer lol) and also if i cant will using it destroy my motherboard because of being overpowered.

THANX A LOT

1.The input power and output power have no connection with each other.

2.You CANNOT alter the output by varying the input.A PSU will only supply
the power demanded by the components of the PC.

3.If you live in the UK,you MUST use the 215 volts input setting at ALL times.
Otherwise...well you know the result.

4.The power rating in Watts is the maximum power that can be supplied.There is no minimum.

5.A 580W PSU will happily power a 320 W system.The only slight issue is that bigger PSUs
produce slightly more heat,so it`s generally better to use one nearest the spec of your PC.
Not a major problem though.

One Last Thing

Thank you for your help very much appreciated.
But what do you mean by the input and output in the PSU i thought there was only an input (electricity)
Thanx

RickyEaton said:
But what do you mean by the input and output in the PSU i thought there was only an input (electricity)
I think we might need some heavy duty schooling here :) PSUs explained

You plug your computer into the wall.The wire goes into the PSU of the computer.That`s the input.

The energy waste is very marginal.

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Psu's convert/rectify power (electricity) from 115v ac {US} & 215v ac {EU} to
12v, 5v & 3v Dc.
As Peddant states above a system requiring only 320 w psu, can be run by a 580W
psu no energy waste. Systems will only draw what they need durring use,
on an "on demand" basis. It doesn't cook it up in advance and wait for uses.

Any way, you'll be needing a psu then?

G'Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back