R40 Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extreme

I know this isn't exactly a Laptop forum, but you all have helped me in the past so I figured I would give it a shot.
I have an IBM R40 laptop that for some reason won't display anything. The LCD does however, come on and it does light up, but won't display anything. I have hit the FN+F7 keys to see if it had placed itself into external monitor mode and that doesn't work. It won't even display the BIOS. So if anyone has a suggestion besides get a new laptop, please help.
I don't think this is a hardware issue because the laptop worked just fine the day before. All I did was boot it up and I hit the FN key and another key (Of which I have no Idea) by accident and the display went out.
Thanx in advance.

Thanx for the reply, however I know what functions the FN key has and they aren't working. The LCD is on and lit up but has no display. It is just a lit up blank screen.

maybe you've locked the laptop? i've seen some laptops have a padlock symbol that you can activate with the FN key but dont realy know or used it...

pressing the FN + display keys may cylcle you through the laptop's different display modes- maybe 3 types: LCD, LCD + EXT, EXT or something.. check that your display brightness/contrast is up? worth a thought.. i'd probably give every FN key a try if your bored enough at one stage (or fustrated :p)

Extreme said:
Thanx for the reply, however I know what functions the FN key has and they aren't working. The LCD is on and lit up but has no display. It is just a lit up blank screen.

Not to be rude, but there must be at least one key combination you don't know, since you say you think the problem arose from hitting <fn> + <unknown key>.
So, have you tried using <fn> with <F1>, <F2>, <F6>, <F10> or <F11>, which are reserved combinations?

Another thing to try, unless you just want to send it in to/call Lenovo, is to try all the different key-combinations that's possible. It'll probably take a while, but will be a lot cheaper than buy a new system.

Thanx for replies
I have tried everything I can think of
I have hit the FN key with every key on the keyboard and nothing seems to do it, I am sorry if I came off rude earlier
I did not mean to
I am just frustarted with this machine
I wonder if flashing the BIOS will help?
Is there a way to flash it useing CD?
IBM support sucks.

Unless it's still under warranty, I would suggest you open the laptop and check the connector(s) between the screen and the motherboard. Perhaps they have come 'undone'.
When you add an external monitor, does that work?

I have been trying to find an external monitor to hook up to see if it is stuck or something. But I am currently deployed to Iraq and they are far and few between here so.
I took it apart though and unconnected everything including the CMOS battery thinking it would reset the BIOS and everything else but it didn't. I am just going to have to look a little harder for an external monitor.
Thankx for all the replies and as soon as I fix this thing I will let you all know.

Good luck in your hunt for the CRT, and stay safe!

Now I understand why you just don't send it to Lenovo support...

Well it beeps now because I removed the CMOS battery and can't see the display to reset configuration in BIOS.
But no, it didn't beep before this started happening.

Ahh, okay, but then it works atleast... I guess your best bet then is to find an external montior afterall, happy hunting :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back