Radeon X800 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crossfire is ATI's equivalent to SLI. So, I think the crossfire edition is a little worse than the XL series

sw123

No, SE means a crippled memory bus. So the 9800SE has a 128-it bus instead of a 256-bit bus. The 128-bit bus is particularly bad because the card's memory clock is only like 650MHz DDR anyway.

Well I was right it is still better then :), and BTW you are wrong it can mean crippled bus or hyper-memory. Just checked newegg.

Hmm... I thought SE meant Second Edition (as in better) :eek: Oh well, now I know what it's for this stuff.

No its more like Stupid Edition lol.

Here is what comes along with the SE name 1-3 of these things,

Crippled Memory Bus
HyperMemory/TurboCache
Older Style RAM like DDR(2) instead of GDDR3

hmm..now im wondering if GDDR is the same as DDR, eg, what is the difference between GDDR3 and DDR3? anyone?

GDDR is DDR, GDDR2 is DDR2, GDDR3 is DDR3, GDDR4 is DDR4. There is a pattern you see lol, GDDR3+ is for higher memory clocks and more agressive timings.

SE means Special Edition methinks. And it just means a model that is lower-spec'd than its non-SE counterpart.

As for your question in the opening post, yes there's a difference between X800 CrossFire Edition and the X800XL. Crossfire needs a master card, which is labeled Crossfire Edition. The second card can just be any Crossfire-compatible card. There is no reason to get a Crossfire Edition card unless you are planning to get a dual-GPU Crossfire setup.

GDDR2 and GDDR3 are the standards now for graphics cards, GDDR4 is coming out soon. As the number behind the GDDR goes up, the memory speed and memory bandwidth go up. GDDR (Graphics DDR) is a type of memory created specially for graphics processing in video cards, and is theoretically supposed to be better for this purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back