RAID drives into new system?

johnmitch38

Hi all,

I've got a new machine and am wanting to transfer my two HDDs in RAID config from my old machine in the new one.

OLD PC
Gigabyte P55 UD3R
Samsung HD103SJ 1TB x 2 (RAID)

NEW PC
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H

Is this possible and if so, please can someone advise me on how to swap them.

Thanks,

Even if you new motherboard has the same RAID capabilities you will still run into a drivers issue. If the new MB can use or uses the same RAID drivers it may be possible. If it does not you may have no choice but to do a backup, reinstall, restore type of thing. Other drivers such as video and lan won't make a difference but HDD drivers and especially RAID drivers are very system specific. In any case make sure to have a good backup before experimenting.

I have two Samsung HD103SJ 1TB drives in RAID config in my current machine.

I have got a new machine that I want to put these two drives in.

I don't need to save any files on the RAID drives so can I simply format the drive(s) and install in my new machine?

Will my new machine recognize them as two individual drives? I.e once I format the RAID drives are the RAID settings reset to factory settings?

Thanks,

I think you have to install the RAID drivers from the motherboard's disk, and follow the motherboard's manual's instructions to configure the BIOS for RAID. However, this is easier to do on a DIY PC where the OS is still to be installed.

Yes, your new machine should recognize the two hdds, provided that they are properly configured in system BIOS (make sure the SATA port is enabled, and proper boot sequence setup accordingly). Just a note on RAID... the RAID controller is what sees or does not see the "RAID" when a RAID is configured. Example: 2 hdds in a RAID1 (mirror), if you pulled them from another pc, & put into a new one, booted up that pc, the computer would see two drives, with identical data on them. You would simply go to disk management & format them accordingly. Hope this helps, take care!

Back