RAM Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulfgar84

Hi everyone,
i've experienced a strange problem with my RAM.
I have two 512mb modules from Corsair (CMX512 3200XLPT, 2-2-2-5) and a Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-L.
While i'm gaming for example Battlefield 2 or Civilization 4, after a while I have a BSOD with nothing write in it.
After some seconds, the computer restarts.
This problem occours only with recent games,older ones work well.
First, I thought that problem is from the video card (a RADEON 9800 Pro), due overheating or faulty card RAM.
I run few memory tests (memtest86, and another ram test tool from Microsoft) and they gave me no errors.
So, I've tried to pick out one of the RAM modules, and I can play with Civ 4 for hours without problems.
For just curiosity, I've tried also only the other module (which i think is the faulty one) and, surprise,also this module gave me no problems at all.
Due the low CAS settings of my RAM modules, i've tried to increase the DIMM Voltage from bios (2.5->2.7), but it gave me no results.
Seems this problem only reveal itself when the two modules work in Dual Channel configuration.
The question is:
Is possible at this point that the problem is from the Mobo?
Or my modules aren't compatible with the Mobo?(the Gigabyte Site tells they are compatible...)
Another thing: as i can see via BIOS, my modules work at 2.5-2-2-5 but the Ram factory settings are 2-2-2-5.Can it be a problem?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Wulfgar

As a rule of thumb, never mix and match memory that are different brands. There can be slight differences between the brands that can cause incompatibilites. Second, NEVER play with voltages. This is a sure way to burn out your components.

Remove the one stick of ram causing problems, restore to your default settings and retry.

Mmm...

I never mixed memory of different builders or with different timings/frequencies,and from specs from Corsair the timings 2-2-2-5 work with a 2.75 V voltage setting.
So i've tried to change voltage to find if it works, but nothing.
i never have these Ram sticks to work out of specs.

So, I've tried to pick out one of the RAM modules, and I can play with Civ 4 for hours without problems.For just curiosity, I've tried also only the other module (which i think is the faulty one) and, surprise,also this module gave me no problems at all.
As you can read, i've already tried to put on only one stick at time, and none of the two gave me problems or not pass the memtests.

Any other idea?

With two modules installed, DIMM 1 and DIMM 3 (or DIMM 2 and DIMM 4) should be used on that motherboard. Is that how they were configured? BTW, I have that same RAM (with the LEDs along the top).

Yes,the sticks are placed into DIMM 1 and DIMM 3.
NEWS:
on a recent config try, my motherboard at boot starts to give me a beep signal and Windows won't load up.
Referring to the MoBo manual, that signal indicates a power error.
So i've tried to move a little the sticks in their slots, and the problem passed by.
I started thinking that is the MoBo that sucks....

Problem Solved

After a few some tests on memory and CPU, I finally decide to change motherboard.
I buyed an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe MoBo, and it works awesome!!!
At the end, probably the problem is about the DIMM retention modules on my old mobo,but at this time i cannot explain myself why on single channel that mobo with that config works, and not in dual channel mode.:suspiciou

Computers mysteries....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back