Ram question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought Kingston hyperx performance 4gb pc2-8500 cl5 240 pin 2pcs

To replace 4 sticks of A-data ddr2 800(5) 2gx16

Thinking i bought the wrong ram to begin with, but when i run cpu-z. They both run only at 400.0 mhz. When the Adata should run at 800, and kingston should be running 1066 i believe?

How do i up my mhz on my ram?

First, you have to tell us the brand and model of computer, or the motherboard... It would be helpful to know the Video card, and power supply as well.

HI crackercreo,
DDR stands for 'double data rate' or 'effective' rate, CPU-z is showing you the actual speed that your modules are operating at . IE, 2x 400Mhz = 800Mhz effective rate. your 8500 kingston modules should operate at 533Mhz x2 = 1066Mhz. like Raybay said, if you provide the info on your system, we can determine whether your motherboard accepts that speed of memory, or if you need to make an adjustment in your bios.

Your RAM will operate at the standard JEDEC profiles embedded within the RAM, of which 400MHz ( DDR2-800 at 1.8volts) is the standard.
I don't think the HyperX series include XMP profiles ( an automatic profile that your motherboard can read and implement automatically)
If you download MemTest here http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/MemSet.shtml
It will tell you what settings are needed for 1066MHz operation.
This screenshot of my 2nd system
or [/url]
shows how the settings are displayed -hopefully it links ok!
How MemSet calculates it's numbers could differ to how your BIOS reads them so it's probably best to re-post with your motherboard model if you need detailed settings, or you can fill in the main settings (CL, tRCD, tRP, tRAS, command rate) and leave the rest on auto.
Remember to change the voltage- running 2Gb sticks requires more voltage than 512Mb/1Gb sticks- check the RAM's specs. 2.2-2.35v wouldn't be an unreasonable voltage for Kingston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back