RAM upgrade Causes loss of Ethernet Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

james_k1988

Been trying to help a m8 out online but not having any luck

I cant remember all his spec, he got it last year sometime. Its got a p4 at 2.0ghz, Socket 478, 256mb PC2700 RAM. Unfortinately cant remember mobo name, I can get it though if its neccesary.

Anyways he currently has 256mb PC2700 (DDR) ram and was wanting to upgrade. So he bought a 512 stick of PC3200 Ram (Note the motherboard only has 2 ram slots, so we figured compatibility wouldnt be a issue becuase ive personally ran a simliar setup before)

When he puts the RAM in, it boots up fine, and boots into windows. But for some reason he cannot get a connection to his router when he puts the new stick in . The RAM registers as 768 and it runs ok, but no matter what he does it wont connect to the Router. Network connections just says that the Ethernet connection it is disconnected.But when he takes that stick out its fine (when its the 256 stick on its own again). He also tried the 512 stick on its own but that didnt work either.

Ive tried everything i can think of (that i can instruct online, cant get to his home to have a look myself). I thought mybye perhaps the motherboard isnt updated (as he hasnt updated it since he got it) enough to handle the RAM appropriately.And mybye getting a pc2700 512mb stick might do the job because i dont wanna instruct how to flash, incase something goes wrong (cause thats happened before :()

What do you guys think?

(Also the router is a Belkin, he did try to connect straight to the modem but that didnt work either. I THINK the network card is onboard but i cant be certain, ill find out if neccesary. Also its Windows XP)

I don't see how the RAM would interfere with Ethernet, but you should make sure the ram clock speeds match. You're running a 2700 and 3200 speed ram, which means the 512MB RAM is being underclocked to 2700.

yea i dont see why it would interfere either. I didnt believe him when he first told me actually lol

But the thing is he isnt very good with computers, thats why ive been having to help him along. And i cant talk him throught the Bios to get to the memory settings. But if that was the case m8, would the pc3200 512 stick run fine on its own? (cause remember it didnt)

Very weird this, ill say what happened for future reference. Always good to leave a thread for other people with similar problem:)

We tried EVERYTHING to get this going, it just was not for running. But strangely enough he left the 512 stick and the 256 stick in overnight (was intending to remove the 512 in teh morning to get back online) but when he started his computer in the morning with both sticks in, it worked fine :S

None of us can explain this, becuase the connection was definetly reading as Disconnected, so it couldnt sync with the router. BUt mysteriously it started working again. I cant explain it, but not complaining :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back