Rambus RDRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocobogo_rct

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with 256 Rambus RDRAM.
If I wanted to upgrade to 512MB RDRAM is there anything I need to know?

I've heard that some RAM has to be bought in pairs, will this mean I need 2x128 sticks

Thanks for any help

We can't really help you much without further info.

If I'm not mistaken, you need to have memory modules in pairs if you use a Dual Channel capable motherboard ( i840, i850 chipsets ). i840 was a server chipset for P3 Xeons & i850(e) is for the P4. With boards based on these chipsets you have to use memory modules in pairs, like EDO ram modules. If you have one of those, you'll need to get 2x 128mb modules or simply replace the ones you have right now with 2x 256mb modules.

If you have a Rambus board with a P3 or Celeron processor ( socket 370 ), it's most likely the i820 chipset in which case you can use single modules.

A quick search on Dell revealed the 8200 is a Rambus powered ( :rolleyes: ) P4 system so it's prolly using the i850(e) chipset. So 2 modules will be necessary.

I hope for your sake, your system isn't fitted with 4x 64mb right now.:dead:

You're right Didou - you'll need pairs. You can also get a terminator module if you only want to buy one RIMM. Take a peak inside, you may already have one.

LNCPapa

Yeh I think I have 2x128MB modules then 2 "terminator" modules.

So If I but another 256MB module, I can use that along with the terminator rather than buying 2 x 128?

That's how my co-worker's machine is set up - one RIMM and the rest terminators. Test it first by removing one of your RIMMs and replacing it with a ternimator - if it still boots up fine chances are you will be okay doing that.

LNCPapa

Thanks for the help guys

SO what exactly do i need to buy, there seem to be so many different types of RAM ecc, non ecc, etc

e,g, Do I go into a shop and ask for RAMBAS RD RAM???

Thanks again

Non ECC Rambus ram or Non ECC RDram... same thing. RDram just means Rambus DRam, just as SDram means Synchronous DRAM.

ECC FAQ
ECC Ram is usually utilised in servers. Your probably best off with the faster running non ECC ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back