Inactive RAMNIT.B - NAS advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm new here, but I've been getting pretty low reading that the apparent RAMNIT B virus on my PC is incurable.

Anyway, assuming that I'm going to have to reformat/reinstall, is there any way that I can save the many thousands of photo's that I have?

I'm reading that it infects HTML, DLL's and EXE's ... and as all of my pics are either jpegs or raw files, can they be deemed safe?

I also have many thousands of pics sitting on a wifi connected NAS drive ... are these any safer.

Anyway, any thoughts would be gratefully recieved ... you never know, I may even be able to sleep tonight.

I might add that I say it is apparent as Norton keeps coming up with a detected and fixed message, and when I look in Explorer, the files that it mentions are 'just' modified.

Equally, when I ran a full system scan there were about 5000 files infected, and to top it off, I can't start the PC in Safe Mode.

I don't really know how much technical detail might help here ... but it is running XP Home Edition on SP3.

You can save your photos, but you have to be very careful, what you do next with them.
Whatever device, you'll use to save your photos (flash drive, external hard drive), make sure to won't plug it in to any other computer before completing the following....

After fresh Windows installation, updates and some AV program installation, install this...

Download, and run Flash Disinfector, and save it to your desktop (Windows Vista and Windows 7 users, scroll down)

*Please disable any AV / ScriptBlockers as they might detect Flash Disinfector to be malicious and block it. Hence, the failure in executing. You can enable them back after the cleaning process*

• Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 users
Flash Disinfector is not compatible with the above Windows version.
Please, use Panda USB Vaccine, or BitDefender’s USB Immunizer

Now, you're safe to plugin your external device, where you saved your pictures.
Scan the device with freshly installed and update AV program.
Then, you can move healthy files back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back