Random BSoD and Cold Boot BSoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

waylander

Hi all,
I recently built a computer 3 weeks ago with the following specs:
1 x SEAGATE 250GB SATA2 7200RPM HARD DRIVE (HDD)
1 x ASUSTEK P5B INTEL P965, PENTIUM D AND CORE 2, ATX MOTHERBOARD
2 x GENERIC 1GB DDR2-667 PC5300 RAM LIFE TIME WARRANTY
1 x INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6600 2.4GHZ CONROE 1066MHZ OEM
1 x GIGABYTE 8600GT 256MB DDR3 PCI-E 1X VGA 2X DVI TV OUT
1 x TASK DUAL FAN 550W PSU MAX:625W
1 x GIGABYTE 3D AURORA (CASE)

I have one old hardrive I am using which is a HITACHI DESKSTAR 160GB.

Running Windows XP Pro - legit

My problems:
1) Random BSoD - This occurs randomly, usually when the computer is idle doing nothing or just downloading. The page dumps (attatched) are not consistent either. Usually won't occur for at least 5 hours.

2) Cold boot BSoD - After the computer has been left off for a bit, when I try starting my computer when the machine is cold. (I live in NZ and it's winter, so when I say the machine is cold, It's really quite cold) After the windows boot screen, just before the login is supposed to load up, I will get a BSoD flash up quickly and the computer restarts itself.

I work weekdays so I usually spend my debugging for the weekends.
What I've tried so far:
~ Memtest86 - I've run Memtest86 on each ram separately and on both at the same time, it's come out clean.

~ Single Ram Test - I tried running each ram stick separately. Both times I'd suffer one of the stated effects above. Though, I only tested once for each when it BSoD I swapped the other one in... then I just put both in. Maybe both cards are faulty in different ways, I find this unlikely but I get paid in a few days and will swap out the RAM cards with different ones if I cannot find any other problems.

~ Refitted - I removed all the components of my computer and put them back together.

~ Running Speedfan - To keep an eye on the voltage... It seems to be fine, though I don't know if it's undervolting just before it Stop errors. Also, temps are fine.

~ Clean Install - I've got a clean Install of Windows XP on a new partition on a seperate Hard Disk. Same Problems.

Apart from replacing estimated-guesswork parts, which will be my last resort as I have to buy these and I'm trying to save my money and replacing good parts will be a waste, I've run out of ideas.
I'm hoping someone here can help me identify the problematic hardware device. Although a programmer, I'm not proficient in reading minidumps hopefully someone can find a link between the different minidumps.

Thanks for your time

I'd say the best clue is both sticks of ram DO fail, and also when they are both in. Try checking the ram multipliers in the bios and reset to match the ram specs (manufacturers website and motherboard websites should tell you acceptable values.) Unfortunately, not every combination of ram and motherboard get on well. Generic ram may not be up to scratch.

Other suggestions I have is try running extended periods without the graphic card (using default video if there is one integrated on the motherboard, or borrow an old video card if possible). Also disconnect any CD/DVD drivers. If there IS onboard video, disable it in the bios.

Check control panel system hardware / system hardware for IRQ conflicts or other things marked with a warning. Look for updated bios driver for the motherboard.

Howard can check the minidumps to possibly identify the offending software or hardware.

Your minidumps crash with no particular culprit. This probably means you have a hardware problem of some kind.

The fact that you seem to have a problem when the computer is very cold, maybe the result of an underpowered or failing psu, or possibly a faulty mobo/hard drive.

Look on the psu label and let us know what it says. We need to know the brand/wattage/and the output in amps on the 12volts rail/s.

Regards Howard :)

Hi,
Thanks for your replies. My PSU has the following Specs:

TASK Model: TK-955TX-DF

AC Input: 100~120 Vac/200~240 Vac 10/6A 47/63Hz

DC Output (Max Output Current): +3.3v(30A), +5V(36A), +12V1(20A), +12V2(18A), -12V(0.8A), +5VSB(2.5A)

550W Max Combined Wattage:
240W - +3.3V, +5V
360W - +12V1,+12V2
530W - +3.3V, +5V,+12V1,+12V2
9.6W - -12V
12.5w - +5VSB
20W - -12V,+5VSB

Thanks again for your help

Well, I wouldn`t say your psu is underpowered, but it`s definitely not classed as a quality psu. Therefore those figures could be well short of the actual output.

Given your symptoms, I`d guess and it`s always going to be a guess, either a dying psu or a faulty mobo.

I`m sorry I can`t be more specific.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks Howard, I'll give replacing the PSU a shot on the weekends, maybe someone at work can lend me a spare PSU for a few days.

I'll let you all know how it goes.
Cheers

Update, PSU doesn't seem to be the problem. Problem still occurs with a swapped out PSU.

Here's another probable symptom. I try running Bios Wizard, but It will ALWAYS blue screen. This may be just software compatibility with my Motherboard? I tried googling, but didn't come up with anything.
Same error message though:
RAISED_IRQL_FAULT

Minidumps attatched.

Is there any other Motherboard diagnosing software out there? If my mobo is stuffed I want to send it back to get replaced.

Once again, thanks for any help you guys provide me with :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back