Random BSOD Windows Vista need help debugging

Jacob24

Hi everyone. Hopefully someone could help me out as I have been having random blue screens for the last month on my pc. I have a feeling it could well be driver related but im not sure.

Ive attatched my latest minidump file so hopefully someone could take a look at that for me. (ive had a look but I dont understand it)

Any question just let me know and ill try and give as much info as possible.

Cheers

Attachments

• Mini081911-01.dmp
    139.4 KB · Views: 1
Your issue is with memory corruption. Therefore you’ll need to run Memtest on your RAM.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version which is 4.20. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn ISO to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

There is a Tutorial: How to use Memtest in our Guides and Tutorials forum; follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes (not hours; this test is not measured by hours); the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

I did actually run the ram test over night but i had both sticks of ram in the pc so i will set it off again tonight with only one stick in their and ill post back asap.

Cheers =)

That is a good way to diagnose memory. Make sure you do at least 7 Passes on every stick.

If Memtest shows no errors then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

If it does match then attach five more of your recent dumps in one Zip file.

Hi. Just to update you. Ive run the memtest on both sticks of ram. The first night i was testing one stick and it did 12 passes and no errors. So the next morning i put the other ram stick in and the pc became really unstable and was blue screening really quickly usually within 5 mins of the pc being on.

So i took the stick out which i had put back in, in the morning. And the pc was really stable, Didnt have any issues with it. Obviously it was abit slower as i was only running on 2GB RAM.

Next night i put the other stick in on its own and tested it over night again and got 10 passes no errors (which was strange as i expected this stick to be the one causing problems)

Anyways I have ordered some Kingston Ram which should be here tomorrow as i would be happier having some better/More Realiable Ram.

Your next step you have given me was to check the Voltage to the ram in the bios which i can do but i have no idea of the specs of the ram thats in my pc at the moment.

On a side note i have just put both sticks back in my pc for the moment and so far so good so i have no idea whats going on but hopefully when i get my new Ram tomorrow that should mean i no longer have any blue screen.

Also i wanted to add that i have been checking my crash reports in WinDBG and the last 3 have been varied, although i think they all point back to Ram issues but im not sure.

That is good work on your part. Sometimes the issue can be is that the RAM isn't set properly. Perhaps that is why you now have stability.

Do a search for a safe nifty and free utility that can tell you all kinds of information about your system: SIW (System Information for Windows). There is a $ one but you want the free one. When it runs it will give you a spilt screen with the left hand one giving you a menu to choose from and on the right the information is given on whatever you clicked on.

Choose your memory and see what it says.

Also, is your system now stable with 6 gigs installed?

Hi, Its 4Gigs that i have and yes it seems stable at the moment.

I do have a question. The Ram i bought is i think 1.8 Volts but when i looked on my bios settings it has settings from 1.9Volts to 2.2Volts. Does that mean that the Ram i have bought wont work? My current setting in the bios is 1.9Volts for the Ram i currently have but not sure about this new Ram now.

I would post the Link to the spec sheet but i need 5 posts first.

Okay So the pc blue screened again. I decieded to play a game of starcraft 2 and it blue screen with in 1 min into the game. It was really laggy too. like it was trying to catch up and then it blue screened. When it rebooted it blue screen before even loading windows up completely.

I took one of the sticks of ram out and its back to normal. Dont know if it will remain stable but for the moment im in windows and its working.

ahhh the fun of pcs. =)

One possiblity ive just come to is it could be one of the slots on the motherboard but i doubt that as i didnt have any troubles with running memtest. No Errors and ive tried both slots.

=S confused. Cant wait for my new Ram so i can see whats going on but not sure about this voltage thing.

Yeh i had heard that kingston had a good rep. Could you shed some light on the voltages in the bios.

My bios gives me options between 1.9 volts and 2.3 i think it was. But on the spec sheet it say 1.8 volts for this kingston ram. Is it safe to run this new ram with my motherboard on its lowest of 1.9V which is 0.1V higher than the spec sheet?

Thanks for all your help too.

A number of people have come here with memory issues recently with Biostar boards. Many times it was because their memory voltages on their RAM was lower than the designed parameters of the board resulting in issues.

I would have directed you to purchase memory according to your BIOS information.

Okay so i got my new ram through today.I had a look at my ram slots and spotted a little bit of dust so hoovered that out and then put in my new sticks of kingston ram.

Pc booted into windows and then froze within 2 mins. So i rebooted and then it blue screen when it tried to load windows up. So i took out one stick of ram. It seems that whenever i have a stick of ram in slot 2 i get blue screens. (maybe its the slot although theirs nothing obviously broken on it)

Any ideas... Its also worth noting that ive got the specs for my old ram which may not be faulty and that ram is 1.8V and has been fine for 2 years.

i can upload my last 5 crashes if you want, They have all been when i have had a stick of ram in slot 2 on my motherboard.

The latest blue screen is reported as a fltmgr.sys blue screen which is strange.

Bsod

In regards to your concern about your computer’s integrity, it sounds like your operating system or hardware has some issues. Unfortunately from the sounds of that specific error, it seems to indicate that this is closer to a hardware problem. In cases like these, there aren’t many avenues to follow. You can seek the help of an onsite technician, take it to a shop or local computer technician, or purchase a new computer.

Go ahead and attach those five files. What does your motherboard's manual say is the correct memory configuration? There is a possibility that the slot itself is the issue.

Okay here are my crash dumps. As for my motherboard manual I never received one with my pc when it was bought 4+ years ago. Their might be a online version somewhere so ill have a look about for one.

Attachments

• Mini081911-01.dmp
    139.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini082011-01.dmp
    139.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini082011-02.dmp
  • Mini082111-01.dmp
    139.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini082411-01.dmp
right ive downloaded my motherboard manual but im affriad im not getting any clues from that. It just gives the specs of the memory that should be installed and how to fit it.

Hmm well i dont know what to do as the latest crash was with brand new memory install which obviously isnt corrupt.

I think it must be the slot.

Back