Random BSODs, new SSD

CloneXpert

[FONT=verdana]I had some BSODs recently and I'm wondering why. I'm almost certain that it's a driver problem so I turned on the driver verifier. Also, I'm going to run the memtest overnight (I ran a short 6 min test without errors, but that's certainly not enough)[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]This is a gamer laptop (ASUS G60JX), but I'm constantly monitoring the temps and it's all under control, especially because the BSODs didn't happen while playing (high GPU temp). Moreover it has been dusted 2-3 weeks ago, when I installed a Samsung 840 SSD which has been working flawlessly AFAIK.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]I never use anti-virus, but now I installed Microsoft Security Essentials and there haven't been any infections.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]I've been running the driver verifier and I had two BSODs while trying to update the GPU driver, so I disabled it so I could update the driver properly.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]The WhoCrashed software keeps telling me that it's the ataport.sys, and I also get a 300MB memory dump in C:/Windows/.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]When I got the SSD I've been using a software provided by Samsung that has cloned the OS from my HDD. Maybe that's the problem?[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]I really really hope so it's not the new SSD that is causing trouble.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Thank you,[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]Tamás[/FONT]

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    577.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Minidump2.zip
    813.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DriverAndSysInfo.zip
    7.2 KB · Views: 1
An Atheros wireless Lan driver is causing the BSOD's hopefully... and yes Ataport.sys is also flagged. Are there any yellow exclamation points in the device manager?

Thank you for your answer. I forgot to mention that I've installed the latest Atheros Lan driver, so that's crossed out, it isn't causing problem anymore.
There have been two Base Device with exclamation points which I couldn't figure out what it was. Eventually I learned that they were belonging to the card reader, once again installed and they disappeared instantly.

The memtest just finished running 8 hours straight, no errors.

I'm pretty sure the Ataport.sys will be the killer, should I turn on the Driver Verifier again?

Also I have tons and tons of error in the Event Viewer, can you have a look at it please?

I ran a full error scan in HD Tune Pro:
HD Tune Pro: Samsung SSD 840 Series Error Scan

Scanned data : 249 gB
Damaged Blocks : 0.0 %
Elapsed Time : 22:39

Does this guruantee that it's not the SSD's fault?

The base devices are part of the motherboard chipset. Go back to the motherboard/laptops support website for these. Is the SSD mounted on a SATA 3 port and set as AHCI in the bios

Only SATA 2 is supported by the mobo. Samsung magician reports AHCI mode is ON.

The base devices are part of the motherboard chipset.
That has been installed already, but that two remained with exclamation point. After short googling, it was the Ricoh card reader, which I installed, and they disappeared automatically.

I suppose Chipset is what you are referreing to from here: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G60Jx/#support_Download_30

It hasn't been updated for long, and I have the latest installed.

When I tried to run chkdsk /R, it got stuck at stage 4 (at 12%). Then I ran sfc /scannow, and I got a 2MB log that had a bunch of corrupted files. I suppose that was because I ran the driver verifier and tried to install the latest gpu driver and got BSOD which corrupted everything. Perhaps if you could filter and look at my event log, maybe you can see something useful (expect chaos, because most of them will be probably irrelevant)

Thanks and regards,
Tamás

Attachments

• eventlog.zip
    946.4 KB · Views: 1
Back