Random FPS spikes Radeon HD 5770

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mist

So recently I purchased a Sapphire Vapor-X and it's been working great so far, but today when playing both Team Fortress 2 and GTA IV I suffered severe lag. On Team Fortress 2 I was just running around with hardly anybody on the screen when my FPS kept jumping from 60-10FPS and this lasted for around 30 seconds, I had the exact same issue with GTA IV when walking through a building. I haven't overclocked and I'm using the 10.4 drivers

System specs:

AMD Athlon 630 x4 @ 2.8GHz
Geil 2GB DDR2 RAM
Biostar GF8100 Motherboard
Seagate 250GB HDD
Corsair VX550

Also when this happens my temperatures seem fairly normal:

CPU 38 Celcius with the fan at 4000rpm
GPU 53 Celcius with the fan at 40%

I would but from what I've heard the 10.6 drivers are best avoided. Earlier I tried enabling Multicore Rendering despite TF2 adivising me to keep it disabled and the problem didn't occur, to be fair the stuttering does happen for any reason and at any time but for the time I played I didn't have it happen. Could Multicore Rendering be a real fix here?

It could easily be that multicore rendering is a permanent fix. If your GPU was bottlenecked because the game was only able to use 1/4 of your CPU power, giving the game access to the rest could boost your frame rates above the stuttering level. Try running the task manager in the background while you play the game with multicore rendering off, and then quit the game to check your CPU usage. If one of the cores was maxed out it was probably causing the bottleneck.

I'll do that next time I'm on TF2, but as far as I can tell GTA IV essentially requires a quad core to run correctly. I'm fairly positive GTA IV utilizes all CPU cores when running, so why would this occur when playing that?

This may be a stupid question, but have you tried turning the graphics down?

Also, has this always happened, or did it just start lagging recently?

I haven't played GTA IV for all that long so I guess it's always happened, but in the settings it's using half of my video cards memory, as for TF2 it's only recently started doing this.

You could try checking background tasks to see if anything else is eating up your resources. And have you tried updating your drivers as suggested earlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back