Random rebooting/freezing, BSODs and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turd7000

A few days ago my computer started either freezing or rebooting during high-stress periods(gaming, etc.). I couldn't find out what the error was so I reinstalled my OS but that did nothing. I dropped my overclock to standard specs but that did nothing either. All the tests I ran with prime95 and 3dmark2001 froze/rebooted my comp before my cpu temps went over 40C. Today I started getting BSODs, PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA, BAD POOL CALLER and even those without a specific named error. Every program I run eventually ends up crashing. Browsers generate windows errors and shut down while games reboot/freeze my comp. Yesterday I talked to a few friends online who told me I might have a bad PSU and I thought that made sense, but today I'm completely confused again. I have my specs and some other things posted, plus some minidumps.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev. 2
Athlon XP 2500+ at 1.9 GHz and 1.65V
2x512 Micron mT at 3-3-3-11 and 2.6v
9500 Pro w/ bios flashed to 9700 Pro at 276.75/270(stock) plus VGA Silencer Rev. 3
ISO Switching PSU at 550W(+3.3V at 28A, +5V at 36A, +12V at 18A)
Western Digital 120GB HD

Accessories Default User:Accessories Default User
Accessories All Users:Accessories All Users
Accessories NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:Accessories NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Accessories TURSR\0wn3r:Accessories TURSR\0wn3r
Accessories\Accessibility Default User:Accessories\Accessibility Default User
Accessories\Accessibility All Users:Accessories\Accessibility All Users
Accessories\Accessibility NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:Accessories\Accessibility NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Accessories\Accessibility TURSR\0wn3r:Accessories\Accessibility TURSR\0wn3r
Accessories\Communications All Users:Accessories\Communications All Users
Accessories\Entertainment Default User:Accessories\Entertainment Default User
Accessories\Entertainment All Users:Accesories\Entertainment All Users
Accessories\Entertainment NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:Accessories\EntertainmentNT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Accessories\Entertainment TURSR\0wn3r:Accessories\Entertainment TURSR\0wn3r
Accessories\System Tools All Users:Accessories\System Tools All Users
Administrative Tools All Users:Administrative Tools All Users
ATITool TURSR\0wn3r:ATITool TURSR\0wn3r
Easy Video Splitter All Users:Easy Video Splitter All Users
Games All Users:Games All Users
Guild Wars All Users:Guild Wars All User
K-Lite Codec Pack All Users:K-Lite Codec Pack All Users
K-Lite Codec Pack\Configuration All Users:K-Lite Codec Pack\Configuration All Users
K-Lite Codec Pack\Information All Users:K-Lite Codec Pack\Information All Users
K-Lite Codec Pack\Tools All Users:K-Lite Codec Pack\Tools All Users
Kerio TURSR\0wn3r:Kerio TURSR\0wn3r
Kerio\Personal Firewall 4 TURSR\0wn3r:Kerio\Personal Firewall 4 TURSR\0wn3r
LimeWire TURSR\0wn3r:LimeWire TURSR\0wn3r
Logitech All Users:Logitech All Users
Logitech\MouseWare All Users:Logitech\MouseWare All Users
MadOnion.com All Users:MadOnion.com All Users
MadOnion.com\3DMark2001 SE All Users:MadOnion.com\3DMark2001 SE All Users
MBM 5 All Users:MBM 5 All Users
MBM 5 TURSR\0wn3r:MBM 5 TURSR\0wn3r
Mozilla Firefox All Users:Mozilla Firefox All Users
Startup Default User:Startup Default User
Startup All Users:Startup All Users
Startup NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:Startup NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Startup TURSR\0wn3r:Startup TURSR\0wn3r
VideoLAN All Users:VideoLAN All Users

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xb8eaab32). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007f (0x0000000d, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP.

First download and run the Memtest86+ programme from www.memtest86.com

Let it run for at least seven passes. if you don`t have a floppy drive, there is an iso version, that you can burn to cd and boot from that.

If your ram checks out ok, then I would guess that either you have a bad psu, or a overheating problem with either your cpu or graphics card.

Regards Howard :cool:

I forgot to mention it, but I did run memtest86+ and it was the only test that actually worked. I forget for how many passes, but it ran about 1.5h with zero errors. Thanks for your help, new PSU comes in tomorrow.

New PSU didn't change anything. Prime95 still freezes/locks up. BSODs are all over the place. Is it worth cleaning and replacing the thermal paste on my CPU?

Also, how can the problem be the CPU if it's temps do not go over 40C, or the graphics card if it's not even being used during prime95 and such? I'm still horribly confused. I'm going to try installing a new graphics driver to see if that does anything.

I`m sorry the new psu didn`t help.

Reapplying thermal paste may or may not help, but I suppose it`s worth a try.

I`m think it`s got to be some kind of harware problem. Maybe the cpu is going bad, or your mobo perhaps. Can you try another video card?

Check your mobo`s capacitors for swollen domed tops, or leaks.

I take it that you have run a virus scan? Just to rule out the possibility of infection.

Regards Howard :confused:

Reapplying thermal paste didn't help, but it did drop the CPU temps down another 3C. I won't be able to try another video card for another week. I checked for domed capacitors and didn't find any, and I'm pretty sure there's no leakage although I'm not 100% sure what I'm supposed to be looking for there.

I did notice something in my mobo manual today. It says damage to the capacitors may occur if they're touching the heatsink, which I think some of them are(ever so slightly). Is there any way to check these capacitors for problems?

Thanks again for all your help.

I think you should run the appropriate manufacturer's HD-test (from the Read in the Storage forum).
HD is probably failing.

Hi turd7000,

I've studied your minidumps. Most probably it is faulty ram.

You can run memtest to stress the ram. If memtest reports the ram is faulty, ram is bad. However Memtest is not a perfect tool to test the memory as some faulty can pass memtest.

Suggestion
1. Reseat the memory stick to another memory slot
2. Downclock the ram
3. Clean the inside the computer case
4. Make sure that the ram is compatible to the motherboard
If it still crashes, diagnostic which memory stick is faulty
1. Take out one memory stick. If windows does not crash, the removed memory stick is faulty.
2. If you have only one memory stick, replace the ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back