Razer Blade gaming laptop gets updated internals, $300 price cut

Jos

Staff

The Razer Blade hasn’t set the gaming world on fire as the computer peripheral manufacturer turned laptop manufacturer would have hoped. But less than a year since introducing the first iteration of what it claimed was the world’s first true gaming laptop, Razer has announced a refresh for its unique gaming system.

The new Razer Blade replaces the 2.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor with an as of yet unnamed quad-core Intel Ivy Bridge variant. Instead of the original Razer’s single 256GB SSD, there’s now a a 64GB SSD alongside a 500 GB hard drive, while the graphics have been bumped to an Nvidia GTX 660M.

razer blade gtx core cpu

As part of the refresh the Blade is also getting quieter fans, optimized speakers, HDMI-out, and three USB 3.0 ports with charging capabilities even when the system is switched off. Otherwise you’ll get the same 17.3-inch display with 1920x1080 resolution, 8GB of RAM, the touch panel that doubles as a secondary LCD screen to display in-game information, and a thin profile (for a gaming laptop) at 0.88 inches and weighing 6.6 pounds.

By comparison, the MSI GT70 gaming laptop released earlier this year tips the scales around 8.4 pounds and is more than 2 inches thick. The Alienware M17x is 1.75 inches think and weighs a massive 9.39 pounds. Both are cheaper and in some configurations offer better core specs for your money, however.

The Razer Blade can be pre-ordered now for $2,499 with shipping set to commence in the US from September 30. You’re still paying a handsome premium but that’s $300 less than the original Blade.

Permalink to story.

Why the hell would anyone buy this? I bought a MSI gt60 with i7-3610qm, gtx 670m 3GB GDDR5, 12GB of ram and a 1080p screen and color backlit keyboard and I only paid $1350!

I bought an ASUS G51J-A1 over 2 and a half years ago with a Core i7-720QM, a GTX 260M 1GB, 4GB of DDR3, two 320GB HDD and a 1080p screen. It's still serving me well although it's age started a show a while back.

Or you could just get any number of laptops with the same hardware for half the price - well, minus the funky LCD panel which undoubtedly only supports a handful of popular games.

This should be a test.

If you actually lack enough brain power and have enough money to buy this, you should be barred from voting.

People will complain about anything. These are just like sports cars. More features the more it costs. True that its out of most peoples price range but hey if you got it go for it. I just bought a 2012 Camaro SS for $35 grand. I wanted a Camaro ZL1 but they are $58 grand so too much for me but im not complaining about it.

Soldier, you can get better specs for half the price. Its like buying a worse ferrari for twice the price of a nice jag or BMW or something really sporty simply because its a Ferrari.

People will complain about anything. These are just like sports cars. More features the more it costs. True that its out of most peoples price range but hey if you got it go for it. I just bought a 2012 Camaro SS for $35 grand. I wanted a Camaro ZL1 but they are $58 grand so too much for me but im not complaining about it.

Actually, the better comparison would be buying a riced up minivan for the price of a Mercedez Benz.

A gaming laptop is a joke, you'd have to be connected because it probably has a 3 hour lifetime at most. If you seriously need to game and can't wait enough to get home, you have a problem.

If you have the money to buy this, but no space to put a proper desktop, you have a problem.

Actually, the better comparison would be buying a riced up minivan for the price of a Mercedez Benz.

A gaming laptop is a joke, you'd have to be connected because it probably has a 3 hour lifetime at most. If you seriously need to game and can't wait enough to get home, you have a problem.

If you have the money to buy this, but no space to put a proper desktop, you have a problem.

It seems like every time there is a new gaming laptop story, people throw out the "just buy a desktop it's better" comments. What if (like me) you travel most of the time? I can't lug a desktop around to game in hotel rooms at night, that would be ridiculous. You may like to think that anyone who looks at a gaming laptop "has a problem" but the fact is that there is an entire niche of consumers that could really use one. Just because you don't need one, don't generalize it as useless - you just aren't the target demographic.

@ramonsterns: Not necessarily 3 hour battery man. Most nVidia laptops have Optimus, which switches to the dedicated video card only when running 3d applications (uses integrated otherwise to save battery), also, the new I-series CPU's use TurboBoost pretty much in only CPU intensive situations, otherwise, they're throttled down, again, to prolong battery life. So a decent, well thought out laptop with a good battery lasts a little longer than 3 hours. ;)

It seems like every time there is a new gaming laptop story, people throw out the "just buy a desktop it's better" comments. What if (like me) you travel most of the time? I can't lug a desktop around to game in hotel rooms at night, that would be ridiculous. You may like to think that anyone who looks at a gaming laptop "has a problem" but the fact is that there is an entire niche of consumers that could really use one. Just because you don't need one, don't generalize it as useless - you just aren't the target demographic.

If you travel so much and like videogames to the point where you'd fork over $2500 for a laptop, you have a problem. That problem is either lack of intelligence, an acute case of gaming addiction, or you need a new job. A brand-new laptop half the price of this thing will run most new games on at least low.

If you travel so much and like videogames to the point where you'd fork over $2500 for a laptop, you have a problem. That problem is either lack of intelligence, an acute case of gaming addiction, or you need a new job. A brand-new laptop half the price of this thing will run most new games on at least low.

In my case, I tend to buy a laptop that crunches through my programming platforms and easily handles SolidWorks, but also handles games. Don't get me wrong, I've always thought this Razer laptop (and many other top tier gaming units) are quite overpriced. But the fact is, there is a market for them - enough that you can find examples of gaming laptops all over in tech magazine ads. Those companies aren't dumping tons of money into developing and advertising products that are not going to sell. But, as I said, you aren't the target demographic so you tend to see them as a waste. That's your perogative. Attacking ANYONE who even considers gaming laptops as having problems (lack of intelligence, gaming addiction, etc) is a bit shortsighted and juvenile though, don't you think?

I mean, at the risk of starting a fanboy flame war here... I could easily just go pick up a 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (similar specs, some better, some worse) for $2800 at an Apple Store, and a huge percentage of the consumer population wouldn't consider THAT a waste or accuse me of having mental problems. Then again, many probably would consider me deranged. Either way, it's easy to drop that much on a laptop, if you set your mind to it. Or if it's what you need for your particular purpose. Or if it's the brand you prefer. People do it all the time.

I have the money to buy this, and I will. I don't care if it is over-priced, and I agree, it probably is. BUT, why would someone buy, say an Aston Martin over a similarly priced supercar. One may get much better performance out of the other supercar, but the Aston is just the more elegant.
Some of us actually care about what our devices look like and want that stay away from 'that fruit company".
This laptop is sleek and minimalistic (albeit the glowing Razer logo), and soo much more portable than say an Alienware M17x or the Asus or Origin alternative.
Haters I welcome your retorts, and imho, I could care less about what any of you say.

Phenomenal frame rates in todays graphic intensive games... with the 660M?

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-660M.71859.0.html

Starcraft 2 - ultra:
41 41.6 42.4 42.7 ~ 42 fps

Deus Ex - HR - ultra:
29.6 30 33 35.2 ~ 32 fps

Battlefield 3 - ultra:
17.2 17.5 18.2 18.4 19 ~ 18 fps

Max Payne 3 - ultra:
18.7 18.9 19.2 ~ 19 fps

Sleeping dogs - ultra:
8.6 fps

As somewhat of an avid gamer who has at times carried a Shuttle PC and monitor in a backpack to a friends house for gaming I'm not concerned about it being the thin, light and stylish with a little screen on the keyboard. I want the best performance I can get in a "mobile" solution. GTX680M or AMD 7970M. Certainly not a 660M based machine with gimmicks for $2,499(£1572).

I hear you Vrmithrax, I've recently been using my laptop more as my better half likes me to stay in the same part of the house with her for "company"(even though I'm totally engrossed in photo editing or gaming). So disappearing off to the study to my desktop isn't as frequent an occurrence. My laptop is a bit past it's best so I've just ordered a gaming laptop. I also play games with some friends one night a week, but rather than doing it remotely we do it old school and all go to each others homes and make a night of it. It's advanced on far from the days of lan networked Quake having to carry big old CRT monitors about but still prefer to play together in person than over the internet with Skype/Teamspeak for comms...

How dare you.

You are the one who has a problem. In this world where we are becoming increasingly globalized, people have a need to remain mobile. I'm a part of this target demographic: the young professional whose job takes her to the four corners of the world on a routine basis. What you are suggesting is that since I don't work at a gas station across the street from my apartment, I don't deserve to be able to enjoy my chosen recreational activity. Only those who can sit in front of a desk, and by extension, a desktop computer, deserve the privelege of gaming?

What kind of a ridiculous statement is that, anyway?

Having said all that, I wouldn't buy this particular notebook. It's obscenely overpriced, and there are other machines out there that are quite capable and less costly.

Back