Razer brings the arcade experience home with the Atrox Arcade Stick

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Razer is taking it back to the old school with the announcement of the Atrox Arcade Stick. As the name suggests, the gaming peripheral aims to bring the arcade experience home – specifically for the hardcore fighting game community.

The device, built with modders and tournament gamers in mind, features premium quality Sanwa components and is the culmination of an extensive beta testing program. It includes 10 highly responsive buttons and a precision eight-way joystick mounted to a solid arcade-style base.

razer atrox arcade stick razer

The controller can be opened with the touch of a button which makes it a breeze to customize for all tastes and play styles. There’s even an internal compartment that can be used to store extra parts and modding tools. The device connects to your console via a 13-foot detachable USB cable.

razer atrox arcade stick razer

The idea to bring an arcade-inspired controller home isn’t an original one, however, as products like the ASCII SNES Advantage and Capcom’s Fighter Power Stick successfully did so back in the 90s. Anyone that was serious about fighting games like Street Fighter II or Mortal Kombat II knew how awesome such an accessory was.

Razer will begin taking pre-orders on May 21 for $199.99 / EC €199.99. It will ship to customers in Japan later this month and elsewhere starting in June. Unfortunately, however, it’s only heading to the Xbox 360 at launch. No word yet if Razer plans to release versions for the PS3, the PC or next generation consoles.

Permalink to story.

If it's developed for X360 and it's wired, there's a high chance it will work on a PC right out of the box. I use this to play Street Fighter on my PC.

If it's developed for X360 and it's wired, there's a high chance it will work on a PC right out of the box. I use this to play Street Fighter on my PC.

The one you list is a better price Alpha! An even better deal.

If Razor can guaranty that this will work on Xbox Next or PS4, then it might be worth the money.

As-is, on older hardware? I think I'd just hack apart an existing controller and buy some buttons and sticks from the arcade repair shop in town.

This seriously is not worth the $200 price tag. You can get a Qanba Q4 stick that's very good quality for $160 to $170, and the Qanba is made to work with the PS3, the Xbox 360, and the PC. All three. Right out of the box. No hassle, solid product, solid reviews.

I remember this type of control system when I used to waste my money on arcade games back in the 80's. This is definitely a niche product hence it's high price and could be worth it to gamers that enjoy that type of game. I can't see this thing lasting very long in the market though.

I remember this type of control system when I used to waste my money on arcade games back in the 80's. This is definitely a niche product hence it's high price and could be worth it to gamers that enjoy that type of game. I can't see this thing lasting very long in the market though.

Yeah, I've been playing these games since the 80s arcade days and I still play them. I have Soul Calibur V (sic), Street Fighter IV AE v2013, Mortal Kombat, and other fighters, in addition to the "collectable" Chun-Li fight stick. Heck, even my icon is Chun lol. I'm definitely the target market for products like these.

This Razer stick isn't worth the price tag because as I pointed out, there are much better options available. I don't know what Razer is thinking, but either they don't know who they're competing with or they're hoping that people will see the name "Razer" and buy it. But really? Spontaneous purchase at $200? I don't think so!

Real talk, if I see someone with one of these at a tournament I'm going to laugh then money match them because obviously they have money and they're aren't too smart.

I took a POS chinese knock off stick, bought myself some arcade grade buttons from www.lizardlick.com, made my own custom stick with custom artwork etc.

I think the grand total was about $75 and it's comparable to my brothers. It's a little work, but nothing fancy at all, just need to know how to solder.

Back