Re-formatted but now no downloads possible

Have followed your very helpful guide to re-formatting the hard drive of my notebook using WinXP sp3 (ok I know it's old). Thanks! However, although I can connect to the web using IE7 (ok I know it's old), trying to download any anti-virus, alternative browser, email programme etc., all I get is... "IE cannot display the webpage". Is there simple solution to this?

If you'd looked more thoroughly into whether it was a good idea to reinstall Windows XP before you reformatted the drive you wouldn't have done it. It's a good time to think about replacing your notebook with a device running a current OS.

If you'd looked more thoroughly into whether it was a good idea to reinstall Windows XP before you reformatted the drive you wouldn't have done it. It's a good time to think about replacing your notebook with a device running a current OS.
An expected reply, but not helpful.

Perhaps I should have just said that no there is unlikely to be a simple solution to this. I would only install XP from scratch now as a virtual OS. If you carefully prepare for another attempt getting all the drivers together and have lots of time to spare you will get there in the end. Be lucky..

The better choice would have been at least Win/7 but nearly impossible now to purchase a copy.

But, yes, your XP can be made to work - - just don't expect updates from Microsoft, be sure to install an AV, and to run day-to-day from a limited user account.

That caveat being said, let's see what can be done.
1) download either or both Google Chrome or Firefox - - can you get either or both?

Back