Real world comparison duron vs athlon xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK i'm going to be switching cpu's rather soon and was wondering what are the actual noticable differences between a duron 1.3ghz and an athlon xp 1900+ I know there are various synthetic tests around but i was wondering if anybody has used a duron 1.3 and then went to a cpu similar...

I went from a 800mhz Duron OCed to 1000 to an AthlonXP 1700+. There's a very big difference.

At the time, I changed the whole platform too, going from a KT133 to a KT266-a so it's not all based on the CPU. You'll still notice a big change in performance but also a big change in your room temperature.;)

Make sure you have sufficient cooling & a good case ventilation.

Yeah...i agree with Didou, when i switched from Duron 800 to 2000XP, there has been a huge differences in performance due to an increase in clockspeed and L2 Cache. But one things for sure an Athlon takes more power and produces more heat than a Duron.

hey thanks for the info, i'll look into more sufficient cooling. i assumed there would be a big increase, i wasn't sure how much though.

i went from a duron 1Ghz to a XP2100+ on a VIAKT133 board and my UT2k3 performance with bots DOUBLED (25fps to 50fps in the standard benchmank) and my 3dmark2001 score went up 2000 to 6500. BIG difference - definatly worth it

Steg

really...i was wondering why my scores in 3dmark were so low. i was getting about 2441, but thats probably because of the lower end duron. :grinthumb

I think there is a big different between a Duron and an Athlon, but for a lot of your examples above, the change in CPU was also accompanied by a significant increase in MHz as well. Not exactly a very scientific test.

Of course out of a Duron and an Athlon running at similar speeds, the Athlon will win every time. Its got a much smarter architecture, more cache, etc.

the 2 biggest increases between ut duron and any athlon xp willl b the faster bus speed (200-duron 266/333-athlon xp) and the fact xps have twice or more the amount of cash.
When plugged in some fast ram the xps saw way ahead of the durons

Steg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back