Really weird problem... no programs working... control panel won't open...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ms_t88

I was trying to install Roxio Creator 9 today and it wouldn't work and when I went to their website they told me to run regedit.exe and allow full conrol and read for all administrators... so I did that and it still wouldn't install. I restarted my computer and none of my program files would open and none of their icons showed up except IE. I went to control panel to do a system restore but everytime I clicked on control panel a message pops up saying that a shortcut cannot be placed there(I have no clue why it would do that)... any idea what could be wrong and how to fix it?

Just tried that... still didn't work I got a message that said something about microsoft debugger machine then another message that said a runtime error has occured... do you think reinstalling windows would fix it?

ok I tried that and when it tried to reinstall windows I got a blue screen after about 5 minutes that said BAD_POOL_CALLER any other suggestions?

Oh dear, that doesn`t sound too good.

How would you feel about doing a complete reformat?

If you`ve got important data on your hard drive, you could try putting the drive in another computer as a slave drive and getting your data off of it. Then, put the drive back into your computer as master and reformat and reinstall.

I`m afraid I don`t have any further suggestions right now.

Regards Howard :(

I have backups of everything on my computer so I can just reformat it now... so could you tell me how to do that?

looks like some kind of virus to me? First, What version of windows you have? do you have an up to date antivirus installed?, if so try to scan your computer for viruses if not found any then could be a corrupted windows registry, if that's the case it is not gonna let you reinstall the OS, so maybe a fresh install of everything will fix that. Good Luck

Yes, no problem.

You need to do the following.

1 Restart your computer and go to setup usually by pressing the F2 or delete key.

2 Once you get into setup look for the boot menu and make sure you set it to boot from cd first followed by your hard drive.

3 Put the Windows xp disk into your cd.

4 Now save your settings and exit setup.

5 While your computer is booting you will see a message that says "press any key to boot from cd" press any key.

6 When the welcome to setup screen appears press enter and then press F8 to accept the Microsoft licence agreement.

7 You will be prompted to repair an insallation press the escape key.

8 Now select the partition that you want to reformat and press the D key to delete it you will be asked to confirm that you want to delete the partition.

9 Now press C to create a brand new partition you will be asked what size you want the partition to be in mega bytes. If you just press enter then the partition will be the maximum size that you can have. This is perfectly ok if you don`t want to create multiple partitions.

10 You will now be asked to format the partition select the ntfs file sytem and do a full format.

11 Once the format is complete setup will continue.

Your computer will restart during the remaining setup again you will be asked to press any key to boot from cd DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING. and setup will continue. Once the setup is complete and you are back in Windows remove the Windows cd from your cd drive.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Regards Howard :)

This helps me so I can install Windows for a friensd who wants a new build from me. thx. srry, pointless post.

hey that worked thanks so much! Now the only problem is I can't change my moniter's resolution from 640x480... have any clue how to fix that?

Now you`ve reformatted, you will need to install the drivers for your mobo/videocard/soundcard etc. However, before you do that, you should install your firewall software, so your computer is protected while you`re on line.

Go to your mobo(motherboard) manufacturers website and download and install the drivers for your mobo, including the chipest drivers.

Then, go to your graphics card manufacturers and download and install the drivers for your card. Your will then be able to set your poper screen resolution.

If your sound is onboard, then your mobo manufacturers site will have the necessary drivers.

If you have any questions, please don`t hesitate to ask.

Ok I've installed all of my drivers well all of the ones that were on the Dell Resource CD... it didn't have a motherboard driver... how do I find out the manufacturer of it?

Ah, I didn`t know your system was a Dell. Most of the drivers you need should be on the Dell cd.

Is your graphics card working properly now, IE can you now change the resolution?

What graphics card do you have and what model is your Dell?

Yeah I can change my resolution
now... not sure what graphics card it is but it's a 2400 series.

Misty

Sounds to me like you`ve now got all the drivers you need.

It`s now a case of reinstalling the programmes you want. Don`t forget to install your Antivirus programme. Hopefully not Norton or McAfee!!

Hello, I'm wondering, if you don't suggest Norton or McAfee, what would you suggest an user to get as a protection suite? I know norton is the worst, but I've using and suggesting McAffe since it's way much better than Norton and compared to Norton doesn't slow down your PC is such a terrible way. Everybody should use a protection suite, at least Antivirus and Firewall, what would you suggest to any user?

I suggest the following.

The free AVG or Avast antivirus programmes and either the free Zonealarm or Kerio firewall programmes. You can get them HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE.

If you want a paid for antivirus programme, then Kaspersky would be my recommendation.

I agree that McAfee isn`t as bad as Symantec/Norton crapware, but I still think it`s pretty bad and a resource hog. Take a look HERE for some comparisons of what slows Windows down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back