Realtime audio mixing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaLo2FrEeEk

I am in need of a program that can do realtime audio mixing using 2 of my audio inputs. If, for example, I wanted to have music or video playing and use my headset to narrate or talk at the same time, or if I wanted to have 2 headsets to talk at the same time. I have absolutely no idea how to do this. I have "stereo mix" enabled in my sound recording options for use as an input, but I want to be able to talk at the same time as the what U hear is...being heard. Is something like this possible? The main thing is it has to be realtime. I'm going to be streaming some games on justin.tv and I want to be able to talk at the same time as the game's audio is coming through, without doing the stupid mic-to-the-speaker hack, I hate that. What would be REALLY cool is if the program or utility could automatically adjust the level of one input if another got louder or quieter...and if it was free.

Does anyone know of any way I can accomplish this?

Anyone? Bump.

As an edit, I enabled Stereo Mix (I guess I've got one of the audio chipsets that uses stereo mix and not what U hear), but anyway, I enabled it and as soon as I did Icould no longer use my speakers to hear sound. Youtube videos would simply freeze since they couldn't play the audio, Windows Media Player would "pretend" that it was playing with the title and artist information in the bottom, but there would be no seek bar and nothing would play. I could still use my headset to listen to sounds, but I wanted to use my speakers. Why is that happening?

Is that really the reply I get? That's bull. I don't have the means to buy anything right now, let alone a good quality sound card. I have a 7.1 sound card built into my motherboard, I shouldn't need anything else for it to work! Stereo Mix is supposed to pass through the output as an input, What U Hear, you know. I have the most recent drivers installed and everything, so it shouldn't be an issue with that. I've explained my problem in detail and all I get is a 1 sentence reply?

I run on-board reaktek 7.1 sound on my ABIT IP35Pro motherboard, and it works fine. Your ASUS board might be damaged, who knows

I'm using a USB microphone, I want to be able to have both my own voice, and the music I'm playing, come through the audio output. From what I understood Stereo Mix or What U Hear should be able to do this, but when I enable Stereo Mix, nothing comes out of my speakers at all.

i understand the "what u hear" method. and also the stereo mix.
try to google about (how to record your voice in audacity)

i forgot, it's quite a while, but someone has mentioned to me before.

anyway, i used a line in method (split audio-output to line-in and one to speaker) and thus record everything, just exactly (what u hear) while listening to it. i believe it should do the trick.

Ok, I know how to record my voice, and I use Sony Vegas. I'm not asking how to record voice, I'm trying to stream my voice along with any music or sonds that I might play on my computer, up to a video streaming site called Justin TV. Basically I want my voice from my headset, and the sounds I play on my computer, to be combined into one "What U Hear" audio input, which I'll select as the audio source in the streaming window. I don't know why that's so hard to do.

i know. what im trying to say is. u wanted to record both the music and your voice from the mic to go together. it is microphone + what u hear right?

that is why i told you to use line in. do not mute the microphone. let your voice can be heard in speakers. then it will mix to be = what u hear. thus it will be sent to output jack.

here is a picture in attachment.

and then, u open up something like vegas, or audacity, and record "line-in" jack straight.

u will now hear ur music and your voice in your speakers / headphone, and every single sound your speakers / headphone produce will be recorded.

ok, I'm using a USB microphone, if I use your setup in the picture and record the line in...I'll be getting the line out from my computer like I want, essentially a what U hear, but not my headset.

u mean u didnt get the microphone voice?
afaik, if u did not mute the microphone. your voice will be sent to the speakers without recording.

so, it will be inside the what u hear already. im not sure about usb mic. but im sure every mic, 3.5mm or built-in one, will give u sound so long u did not mute them. i dont think usb will be different.

if u mean u cant listen to your headset while recording. get a splitter and connect your headset together, like drawn.

I mean I didn't get sound at all from my speakers. I enabled Stereo Mix and instantly all sound from my C-Media built-in soundcard got shut off. I could hear sound through my headset only, but it didn't work for Stereo Mix. Selecting Stereo Mix from the list of available sound inputs produced no sound whether I was talking into the headset or playing music or anything, no sound through the speakers.

well, thats kind of weird. i've never experience it in any soundcard i've used.
if u use stereo mix and it shut off everything in the first place, well try something else.

so your headset is USB? of course, if use your headset, it cant transmit both speaker and headset. they are meant to use 1 output only. either u want to use speaker or headset to listen.

like i said previously. there are some ways to record "what u hear" directly without line-in.
click here
if u manage to inject ur voice (from mic) to the what u hear together. then u're set to record the what u hear, which contains ur music and the voice.

anyway in my laptop, running vista. stereo mix is disabled by default. i dont think it is needed for line-in procedure. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080507093136AA9mV5O

edit: im sorry but i dont think c-media has what u hear features. that is why, line-in must be used. along with the splitter for your speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back