my daughter has a toshiba laptop, and she had a problem with her wifi list

so she decided to press some buttons (shes 12
blush.png
whistling.gif
) and said she tried to reset her laptop, (why I don't have a clue
nono.gif
)

when she rebooted her laptop she saw a black screen and saw this message

(REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE OR INSERT BOOT MEDIA IN SELECTED BOOT DEVICE AND PRESS A KEY)

Now I have been in the bios of this laptop and the harddrive is the priority drive listed

and I know she has not knocked the device and the laptop is only 8 months old so I dont think the drive has failed, but I am not sure how to get her windows 10 up and running as normal, and cant find a way to reset her laptop back to factory mode, I would be very grateful if you could help with this issue,
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

thanks for your time and for reading

michelle

She must be a smart and confident girl.

You may find this discussion of some value.

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Other-Satellite-Laptop-Models/Factory-Restore/td-p/258371

Key points are - reset with power adapter attached - getting to reset may vary slightly by machine - a full power cycle may even be needed (remove both battery and adapter, then press power button for 5 seconds to flatten out any lingering energy).

The manual should be available at Toshiba support, if you have misplaced yours.

Hi
I did what you meantioned and I visited your link, my daughter told me now when she saw the recovery pics on the webpage I visited that when she selected recovery she tried to click the continue to windows 10, but instead her hand slipped and she clicked on the use a device, (such as usb drive or recovery disk) and then she tried to restart the laptop and saw the error message reboot and select the proper device, which now makes sense, the only thing is now that we don't have a revoery media disk, because her laptop doesn't even come with one, the only one I have is a backup from another toshiba laptop which has windows 8 instead of windows 10, so I bet that wont work will it? so iis a matter of purchasing one from toshiba which is saw were £40 for a disk ??

I do not have a Toshiba laptop, so I am not certain, but pretty sure there is a way to reset a 'recovery attempt'.

First, do you have the product key for Windows 10? Sticker on the machine or a certificate which came with the system.
- if you do, you may be able to download and install Windows 10 without using recovery.

Second, did you try a full power cycle (remove both battery and adapter, then press power button for 5 seconds to flatten out any lingering energy) followed by another restart - attempt to initiate recovery holding the zero key down and pressing power key once and waiting until long beep to release zero key?.

Last edited:
Yes I tried all the power cycle it didn't seem to do anything, it just brought the error up on the screen again, luckily I have found a copy of windows 10 which I installed on my old pc, which is not working because the power has a fault, so I am attempting to boost her laptop up with that, ill let you know how that goes, I wont beable to download windows 10 onto her laptop has a cant even get online with the laptop, ill just keep trying everything I can for her, she is really gutted that she made a mistake, we just got that laptop screen fixed for her too, now this

I put the windows 10 flash drive in what I had spare and it worked, (y) I managed to install it into her laptop, so its all resolved now,:):):) thankfully, thanks for all your help, (y)(y)(y)(y)

It would now be a pretty good time to make a "Repair Disk' for the laptop. Wait until all the updates are complete.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...3a5-a286-9e98f886d490/create-a-recovery-drive

Since the license is attached to the machine and it seems Windows Update has found that, you should be 'OK". You may wish to check that by typing 'system' in the lower left search box and selecting System Control Panel. Status of activation appears on the second to last line. Full information about activation is here ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation ).

Your 'old pc with the power fault' still has its own license. Your use of the flash drive doesn't affect that.

If you would like some help with the 'old pc / power fault', just ask.

I'm glad things worked out. My little guy learned how to insert credit cards into the floppy disk slot at a very early age.

Back