Rebuilding a PC

daveman0022

I have an OK computer at the moment but it seems under powered compared to many of my friends much less expensive ones,The CPU-Z file is uploaded along with this.

Any suggestions on parts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DESKTOP-36OFA2M.txt
    65.2 KB · Views: 10
System Summary
GA-78LMT-USB3 Mainboard
Socket AM3+ (942)​
AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor
Memory: (Max bandwidth - PC3-12800 (800 MHz))
Memory Type DDR3
Memory Size 8 GBytes
Channels Single​
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
HDD
Name WDC WD10EZEX-07M2NA0
Capacity 931.5 GB​
Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Home 64-bit (Build 14393)​
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
There are a few options available to you:
  1. SSD for your Operating System
  2. Faster CPU (such as FX-8xxx series)
  3. Faster GPU (such as 960/970 or newest generation 1060/1070)
I would say dual-channel memory, but that is not the most limiting factor in your system. That is if I'm not misreading the info and you do have 2x4GB memory in dual-channel mode.

If you are interested in upgrading any of those areas, I'm sure we can help.

Question though;
What do you use the machine for?
Is it only for playing games, or do you need the machine for any kind of production work?

System Summary
GA-78LMT-USB3 Mainboard
Socket AM3+ (942)​
AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor
Memory: (Max bandwidth - PC3-12800 (800 MHz))
Memory Type DDR3
Memory Size 8 GBytes
Channels Single​
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
HDD
Name WDC WD10EZEX-07M2NA0
Capacity 931.5 GB​
Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Home 64-bit (Build 14393)​
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
There are a few options available to you:
  1. SSD for your Operating System
  2. Faster CPU (such as FX-8xxx series)
  3. Faster GPU (such as 960/970 or newest generation 1060/1070)
I would say dual-channel memory, but that is not the most limiting factor in your system. That is if I'm not misreading the info and you do have 2x4GB memory in dual-channel mode.

If you are interested in upgrading any of those areas, I'm sure we can help.

Question though;
What do you use the machine for?
Is it only for playing games, or do you need the machine for any kind of production work?

I mostly use it for gaming, and I sometimes use unity engine but that is the only production.
Also is the FX-8xxx series compatible with my computer?

This is just a question most computers have a reboot button and a turn off button when I reset my computer it says disk boot failure and I have to completely reboot it.
*edit* thanks for the response btw

Last edited:
when I reset my computer it says disk boot failure and I have to completely reboot it
I've seen times where that was simply the data cable between the motherboard and disk drive had a bad connection. Usually disconnecting and reconnecting the cable will fix the issue. But if you don't have the time to waste, a new cable doesn't cost that much.

To be honest if it sounded like anything else was wrong, in general a reboot wouldn't help. Initially though you were talking as if your machine was under powered. The boot problem is technically a different topic. Was the boot problem what you were thinking of, when mentioning the machine was under powered? Or do you think an upgrade is in order?

I've seen times where that was simply the data cable between the motherboard and disk drive had a bad connection. Usually disconnecting and reconnecting the cable will fix the issue. But if you don't have the time to waste, a new cable doesn't cost that much.

To be honest if it sounded like anything else was wrong, in general a reboot wouldn't help. Initially though you were talking as if your machine was under powered. The boot problem is technically a different topic. Was the boot problem what you were thinking of, when mentioning the machine was under powered? Or do you think an upgrade is in order?

Both the machine can handle some 4k games but others overwhelm it.Along with the boot problem.

I have a 2nd gen i7 rig with a GTX 660. I may have a faster CPU than you but our GPU's are close to equal in performance. I wouldn't attempt 4K gaming without first getting a top tier GPU. 4K gaming is so demanding GPU's like the ones we have will be overwhelmed. Seriously if you want to play at 4K resolutions, you will need to replace your GPU and possibly the CPU.

I'm not familiar with the potential of AMD CPUs, the FX-8000 (over FX-4000) series would be a solution for games that are CPU demanding. That is if your CPU is a bottleneck for the games you are playing. I definitely know for sure the GTX 950 is not a good candidate for playing games at 4K.

Honestly it runs 2016 games really well besides Star Wars Battlefront "I am guessing its not optimized for pc being I run battlefiled 1 at 60fps most of the time" So you recommend a new Cpu to help performance.

Also its a Gtx 970 not 50 not sure why its saying 50 in the Cpu-z

Looking at the CPU Support List for the motherboard straight from Gigabyte (see link provided: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=4305 ), your motherboard can handle AM3+ CPU's that are up to TDP 125W. The motherboard that you have listed is limited to a 4+1 power phase. So you will not be able to overclock much or if at all, before you run into "stability problems" - that is if you plan on overclocking. My suggestion for replacing the CPU would be an AMD FX-8370 or the FX-8350 and leave it at stock speeds. You should also purchase a decent aftermarket CPU air cooler, because the stock coolers that come with AMD cpu's are not that impressive, and you want to keep them as cool as possible. You will gain a decent boost from your current CPU (doubles the Core and Thread count). The options are there for you to make the final decision.

Back