Recommend BIOS update?

logangb345

I hope this hasn't been asked already. I searched for similar questions, but there are a vast number of topics already posted that I don't think I even scratched the surface.

This is the second time I've recieved a notification from Dell Support Center with the recommendation to update my BIOS. I didn't do it the first time because I had no idea what I was doing and knew that messing with your BIOS could cause some serious problems. This time, I figure I will ask the experts first.

This is the message I am getting:

"BIOS UPDATE AVAILABLE

There is a critical new BIOS update available. This critical BIOS update will fix problems or add features to the computer's BIOS. It is strongly recommended to update to this latest BIOS."

Short, sweet, and to the point. My question is whether or not it seems like a good idea to go ahead and do the update. In regards to BIOS updates I've been told "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but if the update will speed things up or have some benefit, I'm interested. Also if it does seem like a good thing to do, how do I go about it so I don't end up with a paper weight?

Thanks for the help.

I would agree with your final comment, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". But, on the other hand if Dell are pushing this recommendation then it may have some benefits, just make certain it is coming from Dell and not some bogus site. Go to the official Dell support site and look up your PC's drivers, it will show you in there what the latest version the Bios is, just check it against what you have. Go into Bios at boot and it will be written at the top of the screen.

http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~ck=bt

Back