referenced memory erro

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobb

I have read several threads on this forum about referenced memory errors and I still haven't figured out my problem, so here it is:

It started yesterday, I have no idea from what. I recieve an error that says:

"The instruction at "0x7c8edf9c" referenced memory at "0x7c8edf9c". The memory could not be "written". Click on OK to terminate the program. Click on CANCEL to debug the proram."

Some things I have noticed:

1) The two numbers are the same every time I get the error. I don't recall any other number/letter sequence besides this one.

2) The error is always a could not be "written" one.

3) I ran memtest for 3 passes and it didn't find anything.

4) It happens randomly for all programs on my computer. It only occurs when I launch something, such as control panel or IE or firefox.

5) Sometimes the error says notepad.exe - application error even though I haven't launched notepad in a month. Most of the errors come up as "dwwin.exe - Application Error"

6) I am still able to use the programs despite the popup. For instance I recieved it when opening up firefox to view this forum, but I haven't clicked OK or Cancel yet so I could post this problem to you guys. Once I click ok the program will shut down or if I click cancel it goes into a VB debugger with garbage showing up.

So, any help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I have scanned for viruses and spyware and haven't found anything. Memtest didn't find anything, so I am sort of stumped. I have used spybot search&destroy and I haven't noticed any unusual startup functions. Thanks again for any help.

Edit: After I posted this I installed nero 7 and recieved a ton of popup errors, so I figured it may help to post them error:
MSI starter - Program has a problem and needs to close
Microsoft .NET Assembly Registration Utility - same
NV4 Content.exe - Same
Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor - same
Run a DLL as an App - same, but I recieved two of these
Nero v7.5.7.0 ML.exe - same
dwwin.exe - Application Error - same message as originally posted with the same letter/number sequence
Data Execution Prevention - to help protect your computer, windows has closed this program: Run a DLL as an App
Data Execution Prevention - to help protect your computer, windows has closed this program: Windows installer

If I click ok on the dwwin.exe error I recieve "dumprep.exe - Application Error: The instruction at..." and everything else is the same.

Holy crap.

have you used the links in the web security thread/ sounds like you have a bug

and you also need to let memtest run for at least an hour or two to get a better reading

No, but I will look into that forum.

I let the test run for two hours. I have 2 gigs of ram and I figured 3 passes would be enough to proove that its not a hardware error. If you think more passes are needed I can let it run for 5 or 6 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back