Regarding PeerGuardian

Status
Not open for further replies.

matav

now... most of us love this software
but i got some questions regarding this.

now... i am familiar with this software and i know what it does but look at my story:
i was doing some experimenting & quit all programs that would use an internet connection
those apps include:
utorrent
lastfm
mozilla firefox
internet explorer
kaspersky
winamp
and other krap

peerguardian in the meantime is kept running and i noticed that it keeps logging ip's
i mean... thats weird right?
if i ain't doing internet related activity, why does it keep showing me ip's that keep trying to connect to me?
is it because of the internet packets that get relayed from my router?
it may seems so.
but i just wanna know a definite answer

but here's more that makes it even weirder; in utorrent i use the port 14579
and what i saw in peerguardian is that it is blocking ip's as if my utorrent is still working.

one example:
name: AT&T
source: 32.165.130.51:6881
destination: my_ip_address:14579

second example:
name: spammer
source: 196.40.10.253:19463
destination: my_ip_address:14579

now... i wonder wtf?
i mean... it is coming from somewhere and targetting the port utorrent uses
even when utorrent is not running

so wats the deal?
if anyone has any idea please let me know

Yes I agree
If you have these "Peer" programs installed they just keep running in the background
Now there's been lots of reviews on how "safe" they are now.
What a bundle of bullocks! (a better word choice here :) ) You are never "safe" with these "peer" programs installed (even when not running normally)

My point of view. Un-install imediately, and use Google to search for specific things.
I hate all those "peer to peer" softwares. I have enough music and videos and games, that's it, un-install now (well I un-installed all mine about a year or so ago)

It's not a problem. Some peers know you're gone as soon as you exit utorrent, but others have to find out on their own. They will keep checking to see if the connection is still there, and after a certain amount of time they will consider it closed.

kimsland said:
Yes I agree
If you have these "Peer" programs installed they just keep running in the background
Now there's been lots of reviews on how "safe" they are now.
What a bundle of bullocks! (a better word choice here ) You are never "safe" with these "peer" programs installed (even when not running normally)

My point of view. Un-install imediately, and use Google to search for specific things.
I hate all those "peer to peer" softwares. I have enough music and videos and games, that's it, un-install now (well I un-installed all mine about a year or so ago)

Your computer is as safe as you keep it.
in this regard you can say that my comp is safe enough to even withstand a nuclear explosion.
;P

peterdiva said:
It's not a problem. Some peers know you're gone as soon as you exit utorrent, but others have to find out on their own...
well... i suppose you maybe right
like anti-p2p organization may have logged my ip and screwing around with me
and users who maybe using another p2p software like azureus, bitcomet, bittorrent etc must have logged my ip to connect to me faster once utorrent starts
quite possible

i'll experiment more cauz i'm getting poisoned alot lately!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back