RegCleaner = BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

baddew

Everytime I try to run a registry cleaner I get BSOD with bugcheck 0x0000005e; any idea why trying to run a reg cleaner would do this. I have 4 different programs and it happens with each one.

What this means is your registry is truly corrupt.

I hate to tell you this, but you might have no choice but to re-install Windows. A badly corrupted registry is unrecoverable. The only way for you to determine where the registry is corrupted is to run a registry cleaner analysis but that's what causing your system to crash. You're in a Catch-22. Unless you can find some analysis tool for your registry to see where it's corrupted, you have no other choice but to re-install Windows.

Which registry cleaner are you using?

Best,
-- Andy

Do u think a repair reinstall or a vista grade would work, think about doing latter but could do the reinstall. Ccleaner, regcure, comodo, and tuneup utilities.

No, a Windows repair doesn't touch the registry. It only checks and fixes the Windows system files and device drivers. The closest it gets tot he registry to make sure the entries pointing to the Windows files and device drivers are correct. The Windows registry is extensive and includes all kinds of other info. The Windows repair doesn't touch any of that.

Best chance is to try another registry cleaner. First just run an analysis and if that doesn't crash the system, we can examine it and see where the corruption might be and if it can be manually corrected. I have to admit though, it's not likely this will work.

Failing that, it's a Windows re-install.

Best,
-- Andy

Could also try using system restore to kick back a couple weeks to see what that turns up.

After all, if it fails your stuck reinstalling Windows anyways

Good point and it made me think of a better one!

baddew, are you experiencing any other problems with your system outside of the registry cleaner crashing? If not, then it's an isolated problem. It's personal preference if you want to try a System Restore to an earlier time.

There is only one drawback to the System Restore. it doesn't always succeed. If there's a program or update that you've installed, any restore points before that time will not work.

Best,
-- Andy

Yea I thought about the system restore and also replacing older reg cleans and then see if I can find where it went bad. There are other problems with this pc and is caused by the ram which is being replaced by crucial; plus the hd that is crashing the most is not the primary one I use but just another rack to pop in and out. Will play around some with it but won't waste too much more time with it before I just reload, thanks for the ideas.

Would it be possible to use something like CCleaner? Its handy for checking registry errors and maybe if you can fix some of them through there. Your registry repair may work again.

Anyway, a fresh reinstall is the best way to go. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back