Registry problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gradient

Not long ago my copy of Adwatch (an extension of Adaware that actively scans for incoming spyware) went haywire and blocked a number of XP programs from making changes to the registry. Now XP doesn't know what to do with shortcuts, doesn't do anything when I try to open most executable files (Firefox is one of the few that works), and generally things are a mess. Adwatch has stopped loading at startup, and I can't open the .exe anyway, so I can't prevent it from blocking anything. I can't use System Restore because the .exe won't open. I can't use Registry Mechanic to clean it up because, again, the .exe won't work. What can I do to sort out this mess?

Thanks,
Phil

The first thing to try is a Windows repair as per this thread HERE. Hopefully that`ll sort you out.

If it doesn`t, you might need to think about backing up your important data, reformatting and reinstalling from scratch.

Regards Howard :)

Well, I couldn't run any of the software the thread suggested (since .exe files aren't working and all) so it looks like it's a reinstall for me. Thanks for the help. :)

I managed to get System Restore up and running by selecting Open With... with a file and selecting Sys R, which worked where selecting shortcuts and the .exe file didn't. All better now. :) Sorry for the double post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back