Removal of Malicious Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I discovered the WinAntiVirus Pro 2007 on my client's computer and found relevant posts on this great site.
I have followed the instructions given by Howard_hopkinso and believe that I have erradicated this and other malware however I would appreciate if anyone with experience in analysing the HJT report could offer an opinion. I have appended other appropriate reports to the hijackthis.log file as outlined by Howard. The AVG Rootkit, antispyware, and antivirus were all clean so I haven't included those reports.

The client's PC still appears to be running slower than I expect for a Celeron 2.5HHz 512MB RAM (448 system 64 on-board graphics). I see from the HJT report that they are running some Norton's stuff (not antivirus) but I'm not a real fan of Norton's so if recommended I'd be happy to remove it. I have performed memory tests and there's plenty of free HD space so if you can see any potential software conflicts I'd appreciate your feedback.

By the way I'm not charging my client for this work and I know they don't really want me to do a clean install.

Thank you in anticipation.

Best Regards,
Geoff Spillane

looks good but have hjt fix this.
run hijack this and place a tick in the box next to this then click fix. O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
service pack needs to be updated!

The log shows that the system is running AVG, Norton and Zone Alarm. AVG failed to stop the virus?
This is too much - clear our the lot and invest in something like F-Secure or Kaspersky. And ans tomrca said, make sure it is all current with updates.
Hope this helps

Hi AlbertLionheart,

I take your point. I'll advise for them to purchase a decent suite such as you outlined.

Best Regards,
Geoff Spillane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back