Removing files from harddrive

learninmypc

I have a HP Desktop tower in my closet, it has been off line & no AC for over 2 years. Would like to get music & Pictures off it.
Don't know correct wording, procedure so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Remove harddrive & put in enclosure. plug usb into working pc & plug ac power in. Change boot order to boot from old harddrive & lost after that. TIA :)

If you are only wanting to extract data from the drive. And the machine you are using has its own OS. There is no need in changing the boot order.

BTW: You cant just switch machines with an OS meant for a different machine. There will be too many driver conflicts which will likely not boot all the way.

Best when using a different machine to connect the drive as you would any other data drive.

Thank you, I think I understand.
Maybe. You can look forward to possible boot order issues with starting the machine into which you install the drive.

It's not a big deal, all you have to do is hit "F12", and click on the desired boot drive (your current C:/). However, look forward to this issue continuing as long as you have the USB drive connected.

It actually depends on the brand of drive enclosure you're using.

I've recently run into this issue, trying to use SSDs as "flash drives". "Orico" brand enclosures introduced the boot order issue, whereas "Wavlink" brand enclosures did not.

You're quite welcome.

One thing I forgot to mention, was that after I was done with the Orico enclosures, I had to reset the BIOS to resolve the boot issues. The setting necessary was, "load optimized defaults"

In case you want to play around with this type file transfer, there's a couple of things you need to be aware of

The firmware in external drive cases, does not give you an "eject" function for the drives. So, they act sort of like an internal drive, but with a few glaring differences.

FWIW, for your purpose, it's not worth d*cking around with an external enclosure at all. Just throw a piece of cardboard on the case floor, (to prevent a possible short circuit), lay the drive on it, and wire the damned thing into the board's SATA array. If you have long enough SATA signal and power connections, you don't have to even bother doing that. Just lay the drive smack on the desk next to the machine.

Last edited:
Back