Removing Remnants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky Joe

Anyone use or know of a program that will get rid of all the left over junk left behind after uninstalling a program?

After browsing around my computer lately I noticed there's a few things from stuff I removed a long time ago, although I'm not sure if they're some sort of shared file, I'm pretty sure they're not and it's not really an issue, I just hate seeing it, wouldn't you?

Thanks -Joe

Just hit the delete key :)

The philosophy of all uninstallers is that they should remove only the stuff they installed. Any files that have been created or altered are not touched by the uninstaller. Also, it is rather convenient to have all your settings intact after you uninstall and reinstall a program.

It is perfectly safe to delete the relevant folders after uninstalling a program. If you happen to delete some shared file that is needed by something else, then you can always restore that by reinstalling the "something else" thing. You can also remove the relevant entries from the Windows registry under HKLM/Software and HKCU/Software

No, there can be no such universal program. Once you uninstall, the installation information about that program is lost and you can't make a program that deletes random folders and registry entries from your computer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back