Renaming of desktop items

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOZO

So, my buddy got ahold of my computer without me knowing, and after watching this video online of how to mess with someone's desktop items, he decided to screw with me. I guess I had it coming after some of the things I've pulled on him, but regardless, here's my issue. After finally convincing him that he totally screwed up, he gave me the following details....

What he did was rename a folder on my desktop, but instead of giving it a name, he deleted the name, and while holding down the alt button, he typed in 0160, which showed up as a single space, as if he had pressed the spacebar. The thing is, now I cannot rename it, nor can I delete it or move it to another folder. I can put stuff into it, and I can take stuff out, but it is stuck there. I tried deleting it in safe mode, but that didn't work either. Any suggestions? Or do I have to kick my buddy's *** for a second time? Thanks!

"cannot" means what?! Your fingers freeze the second you try to press the DEL key?

"cannot" means that nothing happens after I highlight it and press delete, or if I right-click and click delete. When I drag it into the trashbin, it does not move or delete, it just remains in the same place that I picked it up from in order to drag it. That is what "cannot" means.

It also means, in relation to renaming the icon, that when I type in a new name and press enter, or click on the desktop after typing the new name, the icon reverts back to what it was previously, which is an icon with no name. Nothing but the icon is visible. When I attempt to rename it again, it shows a single space (" ") that is taking the place of a name, an that's it.

Hmm.. I sure can't recreate this. I can create/rename file/folders to and from \0160 no problem.

What Windows version are we talking about here? What filesystem?

What if you navigate to your Desktop folder (Documents and Settings\username\Desktop and try deleting the thing there?

Maybe try booting a CD Linux like Knoppix and deleting the pesky folder in there?

Can you move the folder itself to somewhere else?

Ok, so you went to rename the folder, deleted what the previous name was, held down the ALT key and typed in 0160 at the same time, pressed enter, and you were able to delete the folder and then rename it whatever you want?

I'm running Vista 64-bit on a self made machine, filesystem I believe you are referring to the NTFS harddrive? Sorry, I'm not too well versed in this field as of yet, still learning.

I cannot move the folder from my desktop into another folder on my desktop, nor can I move it into a subfolder in my C:\ Drive, nor will it allow me to rename it, or delete it in any of the traditional methods. For all intensive purposes, it is basically a permanent folder on my desktop.

Vista? Heh.. Serves you right :p Using XP here, so I can't be any help.

Maybe try deleting the folder using the command line? Try the rename and delete commands. You may have to quote the "filename".

Thanks for the help, but nothing is working. Guess I'll just have this empty folder for a little while longer....

Why havn't you described the icon ? If he renamed it,so can you.
Why delete it ? But what is it's propertys.(Right Click)
What does it look like ?
This is a simple fix if you post it's propertys.
It will show it's location if it's a shortcut anyway.
what happens if you double click it ?

By the way, you don't move folders into folders. You move "files" into folders. I can't imagine why doing a right click> delete on an empty folder won't work.

Use Windows Explorer and go to the desktop there and try it. If you can move files in and out then it's a valid folder. If you can open it and delete each file in it, then it's an empty folder!

why can't you move a folder into a folder????????MMMMMMMMM
can't imagine is right,try
I don't usually flame ,but come on
to original poster try a app. called unlocker Google it.
I have used for pesky files and folders

Sub Folders

Look again Bobbye.:confused:
Windows has 48 "Sub Folders" Thats moveing a folder into a folder.
But renaming isn't hard.Right click any file or folder and select Rename.
But describe this folder or icon better.Answer my ?
Did you double click it ?
Post a picture of it.
You should not have this problem with a simple Windows action.
Are you right or left handed ?

Perhaps I should have said that more clearly: when you move a folder into a folder, it becomes a sub-folder. This is opposed to just moving a file into a folder which doesn't not change the states of the original.

I hope that satisfies those of you who have presented sarcasm to my remark, including multiple questions marks followed by multiple uppercase letters. I haven't been posting on this board for years but I'd hate to think people who do offer replies are consistently treated like this..

Edit for spelling.

[
technicalfury42
"For all intensive purposes"
That's should be, "For all intents and purposes". A train wreck if I've ever seen one.
There are some workable suggestions for deleting it here:
http://digg.com/software/How_to_Crea...iles?t=9768460
]

Thanks man, that helped me find the solution. It actually wasn't as hard as I feared....apparently all "alt+0160" does is hide the folder. Thanks again!

touchy touch, I've been slapped more than once
you should'a met my D.I.
MOZO the shortened link does not work
highlite the link just do copy ,not copy link
I hope that satisfies those of you who have presented sarcasm to my remark, including multiple questions marks followed by multiple uppercase letters. I haven't been posting on this board for years but I'd hate to think people who do offer replies are consistently treated like this..

hah, thanks

Hah, yeah, just noticed that. It was just to show I was thankful, not for information. Thanks though for the heads up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back