Reoccuring problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I'm having a major problem with my computer. I haven't had it long and it was built for me by a friend. Recently, it's had trouble loading, or it will load and then just die on me. I don't know what the problem is because I get about 6 or 7 different error messages, each time, it'll be something different.

First is the blue screen we all know of. Though that one is rare.

I also get;

[1] A disc read error occured. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart.

[2] Disk boot failure, insert system disc and press enter.

[3] Error loading operating system.

[4] NTLDR is compressed.

[5] Window could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt; \Windows\System32\Config\System. You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

[6] Windows could not start because of an error in the software. Please report this problem as; load needed DLLs for kernel.

Please, if anyone knows what's wrong for sure, please help!

Thanks in advance.

Does it run alright once it boots into Windows? What are you seeing in the Event Viewer?

Have you tried a repair install of Windows? Have you tested your RAM with memtest's bootable iso?

A what? Sorry, I don't know much about PCs. The time I tried to reinstall Windows, it didn't work, but that might have been the disc's fault.

Run BIOS HDD Scan and see if it reports issues with the HDD.
To do this follow instructions as indicated here:
http://www.cyberwalker.com/article.php?id=28
This will bring you to BIOS Screen. You will have to tab through the tabs to find something called IDE Drive Checker or Hard Drive Scan or something like that. It will identify your hard drive, Select it and run it. It will report any issues with tracks or sectors of the Hard Drive. If it reports some problems, or cannot finish, you may have a bad Hard Drive.

If able to boot to Safe Mode, Check event log for Disc Errors.
To get to safe mode, follow instructions here:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
Event log is located by right clicking My Computer, > Manage > expand Event Viewer > Select System.
The log starts with the most recent entry and is very long. You will want to see what events may have made Critical Errors (the RED Ones). If any indicate the source to be 'DISK', you may have Hard Drive Issues and should Consider replacing it.

Hope this helps.

Don't worry about that, fixing hard drive errors while having bad RAM is asking for a disaster. Do the memtest first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back