repair freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
i had to repair windows because (second time now because my dvd burner sucks) and it got to the point where it finished insstalling files and changed to completing setup with an approx 24 minutes to go. It has stayed there for over 24hrs now. The cd drive is not running and the harddrive is not running. The little graphics at the bottom are still moving and the stupid new features background is still scrolling through its random garbage but its not doing anything. i was just wondering if restarting my computer would screw it all up. thanks for the help.

oh and by the way, if anyone can help me with my dvd burner problems that would be great. i got it christmas of 03 and it came with a trial of dvd xcopy xpress. i used it to make one backup of a dvd and then uninstalled it and after that my cd and dvd drive both stopped working in windows explorer no matter what kind of disc i put in, but under media player i could still play music so i knew they were both still working. i repaired windows and its been fine ever since. the other day i downloaded alcohol 120% and ever since then my dvd burner will not read anything. the cd burner works fine though. this is why i tried repairing windows again and now im stuck. I have nero 5 installed, which came with my cd burner, but i cant use that with my dvd burner. i was wondering if it could be a software issue. thanks for any help and sorry about the long post

I can't help you on the XP-install issue, but maybe you have your save-energy settings in the BIOS on for the HD?
You should be able to reboot, check BIOS and then restart that repair.

I think also that you should uninstall all current CD- and DVD-burning programs. Do a good cleanup of their old directories and the Registry and replace the lot with the latest Nero 6.3whatever.
Nero does all your burning for you, CD and DVD.

To copy DVDs, apart from the legality, the older DVD Xcopy 1.4.1 does a good job.
So does Elby's CloneDVD.

Actually Microsoft encourages rebooting on lockups during install, not sure if they do on repairs, but I don't think it can hurt anything. They actually say on the OS install screens I think to reboot if your computer hangs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back