Replacement for Abit AV8-3RD EYE Socket 939 Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmutz

Hi, the motherboard (ABIT AV8-3RD EYE) has malfunctioned on my 3~4 year old computer and I am struggling to find a replacement.

The problem is as follows:

One long and one short beep

This happens upon turning the computer on. After researching on the internet I quickly discovered this beep code is related with motherboard errors. Perhaps there are some suggestions that may solve the problem?

A few months back, I could get it to boot into windows if I kept powering on for 5-10 minutes - but it has taken progressively longer to get running to the point where it isn't turning on anymore.

The motherboard is old (Skt 939... no pci express support... limited support for RAM) I am having problems finding a new motherboard to replace it. The other components include nvidia 5200fx agp card, AMD64 3500+ and 2x 512mb RAM running in dual channel (I think that it is PC3200)

I could take this opportunity to purchase a motherboard with PCI-E support so I can get a decent £50 graphics card... until recently my card in that machine was a 6800GT 256mb (AGP) and the system was impressive for gaming - falling back to the 5200fx was dissapointing as that card really struggles to handle most games.

I don't want to upgrade other components like memory/CPU, I'd be better off just getting a new computer if that where the case.

So are there any motherboards available that will support my components? (AGP ones if necessary, or PCI-E motherboards if possible :suspiciou )

Thank you for any suggestions

Just an FYI, that beep code means your graphics card is not functioning.

Replace it with a known good one and test again.

Graphics card? Really? Well I only assumed motherboard after seeing this list of beep codes and this one

That GPU is cheap + easy to update compared to finding a replacement for my motherboard... I'll try an old 32mb card in the machine. If it works I'll grab a new AGP card for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back