Replacement motherboard - some advice?

Hi there,

I'm new the forum and could use some advice. I have experience with removing and replacing all parts of the computer except motherboards.

Cutting the long story short, I tried updating my BIOS last night and I have now ended up with a corrupt BIOS and everytime I try to boot from my Windows 7 CD it blue screens.

I think its time for an upgrade and therefore I would like some suggestions on a new motherboard. I have already bought a 1TB SATAII HDD which is on its way. I would like to replace the motherboard.

I currently have a ASUS P5N73-AM

My computer has a Quad-Core processor, I don't need the built-in Graphics card as I have a stand-alone ATI card. I have 4GB of RAM, but if possible would like to upgrade to 6 or 8.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for you help in advance,

Jon

We need to know the exact model of CPU, but from what you've said, you have a LGA775 motherboard, and DDR2 RAM. Your CPU is likely a Core2Quad, but it doesn't hurt to confirm exactly what CPU you have.

You will be limited by the fact your current motherboard is also mATX, and because most DDR2 motherboards in that format for your CPU have only two slots available, and a max RAM of 4GB - it looks like your at your maximum already.

That said, here are some I would consider (I prefer Gigabyte over everything else but its personal preference):

1. Asus P5KPL-AM EPU iG31 Socket 775 onboard VGA 6 Channel Audio mATX Motherboard £32.94 from eBuyer
2. Asrock G31M-S R2.0 G31 Socket 775 VGA Out 6 Channel Audio mATX Motherboard This supports 8GB RAM £32.99 from eBuyer
3. Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L iG31 Socket 775 onboard VGA 7.1 channel audio mATX Motherboard £33.00 from eBuyer
4. Asus P5QPL-AM iG41 Socket 775 onboard VGA 6 Channel Audio mATX Motherboard this supports 8GB RAM £34.90 from eBuyer

You will need to ensure you check your CPU is supported by the motherboards above if you wish to purchase them - or let us know and we can confirm for your peace of mind.

Thanks for your reply,

Yes it is a core2quad. I've had a few Asus motherboards and i'm not impressed. I will try your suggestion of the Gigabyte.

Thanks very much for your help.

Jon

I agree completely, and wouldn't own one again - there are many that highly recommend them though.

In truth, anything from Asus, Gigabyte, Intel, and MSI will be fine - The difference is features, and quality of components, and enthusiast's varying opinions.

Hello again,

Just to confirm, will most motherboards fit inside most computer cases? Only because mines huge and I could do with something a bit smaller. Theres loads of space inside.

Thanks,

Jon

It depends on the format.

If possible it would be good to know the make and model of your case to confirm fitment.

Your current motherboard is:

uATX Form Factor
9.6 inch x 7.6 inch ( 24.4 cm x 19.3 cm )

So anything the same format will be guaranteed as being fine. It is however possible your case will fit a full size ATX motherboard, but will be impossible to confirm until we know your case.

Back