Replacing a DVD Drive Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

LxTrix

My computer had a SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S and a SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616 but the dvd drive burnt out so i got a Pioneer DVR 115DBK.

Not knowing to much about drives and such i swapped it in. I didn't know about jumper settings or master drives untill i read more into it later.

When i turned on my computer the drives would open and the light was on. At the time both were set to Master. In my computer it read my DVR but when i clicked eject it ejected both of them. I went to the pioneer website and installed the firmware.

Then i restarted and it wouldn't read both and it was stuck after "detecting IDE devices" at a black screen.

Currently i try to set my CD-ROM to master and DVR to slave and it doesn't read whenever the CD-ROM is plugged in. It'll read when the CD-ROM isn't plugged in. When the CD-ROM is plugged in it doesn't even look like it has power. I hope i didn't meess the drive up somehow. Please help. I want to have them both setup/

You can't physically damage the drives by setting the jumpers incorrectly so you are safe there.

Re-check the jumpers again, your problem still sounds like a jumper issue. If you are sure you are right, switch the jumpers on both drives to CS. Or try another IDE ribbon.

When i have it like this...

SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S Master
Pioneer DVR 115DBK Slave

The cd drive doesn't work but the dvr is detected but after it says "detecting ide" it stays at a black screen.

When i have it like this....

Pioneer DVR 115DBK Master
SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S Slave

It doesn't read either and it goes into windows...

Right now i just have the cd drive unplugged and the dvr is the master. No matter how i plug it the dvr it gets power but the cd drive doesn't. So the cd drive isn't getting power no led no opening. The power cord and ide cable work for the dvr so i don't think they could be a problem. So would could it be? Somethings not right with my old cd drive now and i'm not sure what. Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back